Not able to refresh PivotTable

Copper Contributor

Hi, I am running Office 365. This is what I wanted to accomplish. I created a PivotTable from a Excel worksheet. I want to be able to update the data with newer data every month and I want the PivotTable to be able to refresh to the new data. The Worksheet data will always have the same columns, but the number of rows will change from month to month.

This is what I did. I created a Excel Table for the Worksheet and then created the PivotTable so I got the data presented in the PivotTable the way I wanted for the month. Next month data comes and I create a Excel Table for the new data/Worksheet. I then copy and pasted the new Excel Table to the previous Excel Table that contains the previous data. I then switches to the PivotTable and click  Data/Refresh All, I got a prompt "We could not get the data from "Table1" in the workbook "[My File Name]". 

Am I doing the right thing? Is this because my table names do not match between the new and previous tables? How do I name the tables to make sure they are the same? The new table has more rows than the previous one in this case.

Really appreciate some help. Thank you in advance.

1 Reply

Hi Lin,

It depends on how you copy/paste your new table on old one. If you select entire new table with headers, copy it, stay on left top header of the first table and paste - you receive new table with automatically generated new name. PivotTable won't recognize it.

If you copy/paste only data, without headers, it shall work. Another option, if you copy/paste entire table with headers, to rename resulting table to Table1 or which name your first table had.