Selecting Data From A Table

Copper Contributor

I have a table of recipes. The left column lists the recipe names. The column headings are the recipe ingredients. On the table line for a given recipe, the cell in the column for each ingredient will have a number that represents the percentage of the total batch weight that ingredient represents.

On another form, I want to enter the recipe name and from that populate a table with the names all ingredients with a percentage greater than zero and their respective percentages of the batch total. How do I write such a formula? What functions do I use?

3 Replies

Check attachement if I right understood.

I made some extra sheets just for the calcs, do not touch the red ones ("INGREDIENT CHECK" and "SELECTOR").

In sheet RECEPIES you can insert new recepies. In row 1 you can add ingredients (all formulas are calculated til Z column).

Remember to specify different names for the recepies.

In the "RESUME" page there is a dropdown menu to choose from the recepies stated in the RECEPIES sheet (til row 20).

In the "INGREDIENT CHECK" sheet I assign ordinal numbers to the ingredients that are present in the recepy, all that are more than 0 as you stated.

In the "SELECTOR" sheet I displayed in one row the exact recepie selected in the RESUME sheet (the one you're looking for at the moment).

RESUME sheet now lists the ingredients looking from the SELECTOR sheet (1, 2, 3, 4, 5...) and then display the name of the ingredient; in the next column it shows the quantity.

enjoy

I am not at home now, so I'm from mobile. When I go back home I'll evolve the worksheet by removing the INGREDIENT CHECK sheet, inserting those formulas directly in the SELECTOR sheet, that also can be inserted in the same sheet as RESUME. This way you'll have a 2 sheets file (lighter) that needs less caring and attention to update.

Stay tuned!

I just returned from a vacation trip and I'm looking over your suggestions. Thank you for those!

I'm not looking for suggestions on formatting my information; I have that pretty well organized. I really need direction as to what functions to explore for my recipe project.  I have about 30 different recipes and about 80 different ingredients.  On a future date I may need to schedule batches of 5 different recipes.  I need a way to summarize the quantities of each of the ingredients I need on that date.

Each batch will be entered on its own sheet with production date, recipe number and batch quantity.  From that information the batch sheet will be populated with the ingredients needed for the recipe and the quantities of each ingredient.  I need a way to populate and sum this ingredient information on another sheet for the production date.

For a recent inventory I had great success using the SUMIFS function to pull data out of an inventory spreadsheet into a summary sheet.  Can you suggest other similar functions I can explore for my current project?