New Query From MySQL Configuration

Copper Contributor

Does anyone know how to configure the new query for MySQL correctly?

I can connect to the MySQL database server using MySQL workbench TCP/IP over SSH (port 22) and then Localhost (127.0.0.1) (no SSL) port 3306.  But Excel won't connect to this server. What is the proper way to configure Excel 2016 for MySQL database connectivity?

I found out the problem I was having. It was very basic. I didn't have the Ubuntu 16.04 server / MySQL mysql.conf.d file edited to allow outside access (only local by default).

Here is the info that helped.

Enable MySQL Server Remote Connection in Ubuntu

By default MySQL Server on Ubuntu run on the local interface, This means remote access to the MySQL Server is not Allowed. To enable remote connections to the MySQL Server we need to change value of the bind-address in the MySQL Configuration File.

First, Open the /etc/mysql/mysql.conf.d/mysqld.cnf file (/etc/mysql/my.cnf in Ubuntu 14.04 and earlier versions).

vim /etc/mysql/mysql.conf.d/mysqld.cnf

Under the [mysqld] Locate the Line,

bind-address            = 127.0.0.1

And change it to: bind-address = 0.0.0.0

Then, Restart the Ubuntu MysQL Server.

Excel now connects very nicely to my database.

1 Reply

Mysql for excel and Mysql Workbench will not work this application simultaneously. you have to use any one application but not both simultaneously. chk this link: https://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql-for-excel/en/mysql-for-excel-faq.html.    or https://nyctionline.in/blog/add_plc_gmap.php

@Mark Bowden wrote:

Does anyone know how to configure the new query for MySQL correctly?

I can connect to the MySQL database server using MySQL workbench TCP/IP over SSH (port 22) and then Localhost (127.0.0.1) (no SSL) port 3306.  But Excel won't connect to this server. What is the proper way to configure Excel 2016 for MySQL database connectivity?

I found out the problem I was having. It was very basic. I didn't have the Ubuntu 16.04 server / MySQL mysql.conf.d file edited to allow outside access (only local by default).

Here is the info that helped.

Enable MySQL Server Remote Connection in Ubuntu

By default MySQL Server on Ubuntu run on the local interface, This means remote access to the MySQL Server is not Allowed. To enable remote connections to the MySQL Server we need to change value of the bind-address in the MySQL Configuration File.

First, Open the /etc/mysql/mysql.conf.d/mysqld.cnf file (/etc/mysql/my.cnf in Ubuntu 14.04 and earlier versions).

vim /etc/mysql/mysql.conf.d/mysqld.cnf

Under the [mysqld] Locate the Line,

bind-address            = 127.0.0.1

And change it to: bind-address = 0.0.0.0

Then, Restart the Ubuntu MysQL Server.

Excel now connects very nicely to my database.