SOLVED

Backing up Azure file storage to Azure Backup

Iron Contributor

Hi Team,

We are already using Azure file Storage. This is to copy files directly to Azure Storage (file shares). A virtual drive has been mapped for this storage.

Since Azure File Storage does not support Recovery/Restore Points (i.e. restore a file one week old) or Point in Time copies, we need to use Azure Backup which has these Point in Time/Recovery Points capabilities which will allows us to restore files like 2 days old in case a file has been delete or overwritten.

Per our research, Azure File Storage backed up directly to Azure Backup is not possible (yet).

Backup of Azure Storage is only possible on BLOB Storage but not Azure File Storage. See links below.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/backup/backup-introduction-to-azure-backup

https://github.com/levibotelho/azure-blob-backup
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/backup/backup-try-azure-backup-in-10-mins

Is there any possibiltity to achieve this with current capabilities or if not, has this been taken in to the timelines for future deliveries ? any feedback is really appreciated !

Thank You

Manoj Karunarathne

manojviduranga@hotmail.com

23 Replies

Hello Manoj,

Greetings!
We are working on the feature to enable backups on AFS file shares. This feature is targeted for release later this year. We will reach out to you if you wants to be part of the preview program. 

Regards,
Kamalakar K

Hi Kamalkar,

this is a great news. Please keep me in the preview program. i would be happy to test it as soon as its out.

Best Regards,

Manoj K

manojviduranga@hotmail.com | manoj@techoneglobal.com

Hi Manoj,

Thank you for your interest, we will reach out to you once the preview is ready. 

Regards,

Kamalakar K

Hi Kalamar,

Is there any chance you could put me on the preview list? We have some customers going to Azure files. Backup with Azure backup would be a great benefit here.

regards,

Stefan tH

Hi, 

Could I also please be added to the preview progame?

Thanks

Is it possible for me to have access the  preview of Backing up Azure file storage to Azure Backup

/Michael Thorstensen

Can I please get added to the preview as well? I am an Aazure Architect and we are discussing implenting FIle storage and one of our issues is backups.

Thank you

Please add me to the preview as well.  I really need this!

thanks,

Joey

@Kamalakar Kamsani wrote:

Hello Manoj,

Greetings!
We are working on the feature to enable backups on AFS file shares. This feature is targeted for release later this year. We will reach out to you if you wants to be part of the preview program. 

Regards,
Kamalakar K

Is there a current alternative way to backup AFS file share?
Please add me to the preview as well.

I would also like to be added to the preview if possible.

best response confirmed by Trinadh Kotturu (Microsoft)
Solution

We have recently announced preview for Azure Files backup at Ignite 2017. If you are interested in enrolling for this, please send an email to AskAzureBackupTeam@microsoft.com with your subscription IDs.

We will be rolling out instructions to all our preview customers soon.

Regards,

Vishnu Charan TJ

Program Manager | Azure Backup

Hi Vishnu,

Thanks for the update and sent a request mail already :)

Thanks in advance

Manoj

Yup me too! I want is for azure file synz support. Be a nice solution!

Any news regarding Azure Files backup release date?

We are in limited preview right now. If you are interested in enrolling for this, please send an email to AskAzureBackupTeam@microsoft.com with your subscription IDs.

Regards,

Vishnu Charan TJ

Hi I setup up a small Azure Virtual Network for a healthcare client.  I just helped save some data for them because of the VM's auto daily backup.  I would like to test or preview the backup of their shared file storage when ready.

For now I will need to copy from the shared h drive to one of the VMs C drive using a job every night before the 1 am backup.  Very high priority if I set up other client Virtual Networks with a shared drive.

Thank you

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Trinadh Kotturu (Microsoft)
Solution

We have recently announced preview for Azure Files backup at Ignite 2017. If you are interested in enrolling for this, please send an email to AskAzureBackupTeam@microsoft.com with your subscription IDs.

We will be rolling out instructions to all our preview customers soon.

Regards,

Vishnu Charan TJ

Program Manager | Azure Backup

View solution in original post