Azure Backup Server On-Premise

Deleted
Not applicable

Hey guys,

We have a requirement to include the Azure Backup Server (On-Premise). However the environment has two physical Windows 2008R2 servers with volumes that are required to be backed up, which are over 1.7TB in size. We could potentially convert the physical servers into Hyper V machines, if that takes care of the issue.

Looking at the Azure Backup articles it states that for Server 2008 R2, you cannot backup volumes over 1.7TB, but i'm not sure if that is relating to the Azure Backup Agent (MARS) or it is inclusive of all the Azure Backup Services (Including the on-premise Azure Backup Server).

Has anyone deployed MABS for volumes over 1.7TB in size on Server 2008R2?

Thanks

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/backup/backup-azure-backup-faq#what-can-i-back-up

1 Reply
EDIT: SOLVED

"On your question:
We have a query around Microsoft Azure Backup Server V2 (On-Premise). Do you know if the 2008R2 physical Server volume size (1.7TB) limitations are applicable if there is an Azure Backup Server on-premise.

This limitation is regarding the datasource size only for Online recovery points when the protection is ran on the server itself.
This is due to the VDS service limits on OS’es previous to Windows 2012.

For example, if you are running the MARS Agent (standalone) on a Windows 2008 R2, the limit of data per datasource is around 1,7TB
But if you are protecting a Windows 2008 R2 server using MABS, installed on a windows 2012 (or later) the limit will be around 54TB as the OS limitation will be the 2012 limit.
On the other hand if you have the MABS server installed on a Windows 2008 R2, this limitation will reflect on all the datasources that you protect.

This limitation is only for Cloud backups, for disk based backups we do not leverage on VHDs so we don’t have this limitation.

I hope I helped to clear your doubts."