SOLVED

Log Analytics Dashboard Options

Deleted
Not applicable

I am interested in understanding OMS dashboarding options. My understanding is as follows...

1. Within a single OMS workspace, I can only build and maintain one overview tile based dashboard (the overall dashboard you see when you first log in).
  2. "My dashboard" is deprecated, meaning there is no concept of a personal dashboard within OMS. Also, whomever has access to the OMS workspace sees everything that is on that overall dashboard (i.e., there is no way to hide certain tiles based on user or role).
  3. For more customized dashboarding needs, we would need to either integrate with other tools (i.e., Power BI) or pin OMS query results to an Azure Portal dashboard and share those with whomever else needed those.
  4. One main constraint of pinning to Azure portal is that tabular views are limited to only four columns of data, no more.

Are these statements valid. If not, could someone point me to some documentation showing otherwise please? I am particular interested on the best options for creating customized dashboards that only specific teams/users have access to.

Thanks in advance!

6 Replies
best response
Solution

Hi

1. Yes Overview page in Log Analytics will show you all dashboards create by anyone. That Overview page is visible to anyone who has access to Log Analytics workspace resource. If you want to create let's say your own Overview page this is possible. You can just pin the tiles to Azure Dashboard. That Azure Dashboard will be available only to you if you do not share it.

2. My Dashboard is deprecated feature.

3. Yes

4. Yes. 

The best way is to create Log Analytics Views and pin the tiles of those views to Azure Dashboard. Than share the Azure Dashboard to specific team.

Great, thank you for the response.

Second that, the Azure Dashboard works great and can be shared easily to other users. Be aware there are a few components of the Dashboard that don't work 100% yet.

Log Analytics portal and pinning to dashboard is cool. However, is there a way to get drill down options just like the oms dashboard that we used to have ? as far as i have noticed, there's no drill down option and also, chart options / modification of chart options are very less on the log analytics portal - most of it should be accommodated within bar and pie charts. drill downs are the most important feature that provides an overview to everyone and if interested we can drill in deeper to investigate more about the issue, if observed. Can we please have such feature on log analytics option / azure dashboard please ? 

This is also one of our biggest gripes about Azure Dashboards. We're testing out the Grafana Azure Monitor plugin which includes support for Application Insights, Azure Metrics and Log Analytics. With Grafana, I'm then able to create drill downs, filters, annotations and an overall level of interactivity that Azure Dashboards can't compete with. So far, this has been a great alternative.

NOTE: We've also tinkered with Power BI for creating Log Analytics dashboards, but the so-called "integration" is clunky and limited to 500k rows of data, something a large enterprise will run into almost immediately. If there were a "direct query" feature (like the Grafana plugin) for Power BI, then it would be a no-brainer to use Power BI. 

@Scott Allison We are working on a native Azure grafana service. If interested, please sign up for the private preview here 

https://aka.ms/ags-signup

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response
Solution

Hi

1. Yes Overview page in Log Analytics will show you all dashboards create by anyone. That Overview page is visible to anyone who has access to Log Analytics workspace resource. If you want to create let's say your own Overview page this is possible. You can just pin the tiles to Azure Dashboard. That Azure Dashboard will be available only to you if you do not share it.

2. My Dashboard is deprecated feature.

3. Yes

4. Yes. 

The best way is to create Log Analytics Views and pin the tiles of those views to Azure Dashboard. Than share the Azure Dashboard to specific team.

View solution in original post