Smart heating

Copper Contributor

Hello, Sorry for posting here, I have a new account and I can't post a new topic yet. I have a question, and need your opinion or solution if you have one. I work in a company that is trying to make smart heating systems in building using IoT and more precisely Microsoft Azure. I followed the tutorials that Microsoft Azure offers, until it came to PowerBi... And i found two elements that made me lose alot of time.. First element: Sending data directly from Azure Storage Blob doesn't work on PowerBI, i had to recreate an other query to make it work but it took lots of time to find the solution on the blog. Second element: I'm surprised that there is only commercial units for data in PowerBI. Isn't it supposed to be monitoring devices in a building as well? Well i hope that i didn't annoy you with my questions but you seem more experienced that me, so i decided to ask while waiting to be able to post my own topics. PS: Azure IoT central is very limited and not smart at all... i had to use something else like PowerBI.

4 Replies

I've moved your question into a new topic.

BTW-you do have the ability to post new conversations. It's not limited by you being a new user.

Go to https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Azure-IoT/bd-p/Azure-IoT and click "Start a New Conversation."

Hi Eric

Have you looked at Time Series Insights?

Also for everyone to be able to understand better your scenario and make suggestions, can you share a bi tmore about your application? what are you trying to use PowerBI for? just displaying data and reporting, analytics, other?

And you are right, Azure IoT Central is still limited as of today when it comes to data analytics. We have lots of work in progress in this area.

Hello @Olivier

Eric just transmitted my post, I'm the one who wrote it. 

I'm trying to create an interface that will supervise energy consumption, temperature, humidity, air quality and so on.

The problem is that PowerBI does not support scientific formats and units. For example, 100m² = text in PowerBI. It doesn't recognize "m²" as a unit and the mechanism that is supposed to be smart transforms all my data into text.

This makes it very hard to enter my data, and time-consuming.

Why the only formats available is "currency". Isn't it supposed to monitor all sort of data?

Please help me figure out how to add new formats to the PowerBI software.

I contacted the support team and no answer about this problem...

Thank you for answering me Olivier and @Eric Starker for transmitting my message.

Waiting for your answer.

Have a great day!

Sedki Jguirim

Hi @Sed_ki92 

I am afraid I can't answer to the Power BI question and I recommend posting it on https://community.powerbi.com/

Now, that said, have you tried out Azure Time Series Insights?