How to update UWP app remotely run on windows 10 Iot core ?

Copper Contributor

I have created UWP c# application that run on Raspberry pi 3 with windows 10 Iot core OS.It has program that read sensor data and send data to Azure.We want to make sure that once it deploy to customer location we would be able to manage and update application remotely.We have build our iot solution using Azure Iot central.

We have checked for automatic device management article from Microsoft MSDN site and try to  install IOT edge run time to syn for update from IOT Hub but we are not able to install it because Raspberry Pi 3  has ARM based processor.

Could you please suggest any other way to do it with same device.

3 Replies

@nilkenmistry Azure IoT Edge is for running cloud workloads at the edge and you are able to manage these "modules" from IoT Hub in the cloud, but it won't allow you to manage the underlying OS or applications running on the device out of the box, you would still have to implement your own device management leveraging the infrastructure provided by IoT Hub.

If you want to remotely manage your Windows IoT Core device, you can consider using InTunes as described in this article: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/iot-core/manage-your-device/intunedeviceenrollment

@OlivierBloch I was able complete device enrollment process but it has not been  listed in device list on Azure portal. I had asked to tech support for assistance but they told that Intune is not support  windows Iot core. Intune only support windows Iot Enterpise. I am not sure, how can I resolve this issue now.

@nilkenmistry  We have been doing validation of testing Windows IoT Core with Intune, and everything is looking good with build 17763.615 or later.  Earlier versions of RS5 had an issue with enrollment, but that should be resolved starting with KB4507469.  We'll update our official support statement as soon as we have final signoff, but all of our testing looks good with build 17763.615 or later.