Microsoft Secure Tech Accelerator
Apr 03 2024, 07:00 AM - 11:00 AM (PDT)
Microsoft Tech Community

What virtual network is my Office 365 in?

Brass Contributor

I have Office 365 for my company, and I am trying to join my computers to the Azure AD and have users log on with their Office 365 email addresses.

I bought the Office 365 subscription from Godaddy, and the DNS servers for the domain are currently at he.net, although I could move that if necessary.

I have successfully been able to join my Windows 10 desktop computer to the Azure AD by following this: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/active-directory/device-management-azuread-registered-devices-...

However, when I try to actually log in to the computer using my email address, I get an error message saying that there are network problems, and I should try again.  So clearly I do not really understand what I am doing.

I thought it might be a good idea to have the DNS server somehow more tightly coupled to Office 365, so Office 365 could do secure dynamic updates to the DNS server.   Hopefully, then, the DNS server would have better information about how to log on and everything would flow better.

So I started following this guide.   The first task is to provision a domain-joined virtual machine to remotely administer DNS for the managed domain.  That is another guide.   At step 6 of this guide, I need to decide which virtual network my virtual machine will be in.  I am told to select the virtual network in which my Azure AD DS-managed domain is deployed.

My question is "where is this"?    I have two virtual networks in my Azure portal, both of which I created myself.  Where is the virtual network for Office 365?  Thanks in advance.

1 Reply

Never mind, I figured this out myself.  It turns out that Azure AD Domain Services had not been enabled for my Office 365 domain.  I enabled it, and at that point chose a region and a virtual network.  So now I know the virtual network and can continue.

However, it appears that Azure AD DS costs at least $109.50 per month, which is a showstopper for our little company.  So I guess we will have to live with local accounts on our computer and none of the identity management features of AD.