Microsoft Secure Tech Accelerator
Apr 03 2024, 07:00 AM - 11:00 AM (PDT)
Microsoft Tech Community
SOLVED

How to Reset who can create Office 365 Group

Brass Contributor

A mouth ago, I have run the following command to make which security group's user only can create Office 365 Group.

「Control who can create Office 365 Groups」

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Control-who-can-create-Office-365-Groups-4c46c8cb-17d0-44b5...

I want to reset the setting in another security group.

I got the following error. Although I found the above article that You apply the steps in this article only once in your organization

============

You apply the steps in this article only once in your organization, for one security group. If you try to applying them again for another security group, you'll get an error that looks like this:

A conflicting object with one or more of the specified property values is present in the directory.

============

But I think MS should release that how to reset the setting method.

About who can create office 365 group my tenant has been in confusion now.(for example: the global admin user also can not create office 365 group in teams)…

Please help me Micosoft.

4 Replies
best response confirmed by Tobey Davies (Brass Contributor)
Solution

If you already have the settings template created, you simply need to change the property. It depends on which module you are using, but the idea is the same.

$setting = Get-AzureADDirectorySetting | where {$_.DisplayName -eq 'Group.Unified'}

$setting["GroupCreationAllowedGroupId"] = "blablabla_newGUID"

Set-AzureADDirectorySetting -id $setting.Id -DirectorySetting $setting

The process is actually detailed in the article above, check the "Edit an existing Group settings object" section. And it's an unnecessarily complex process, no question about it, we've been giving the same feedback for year now...

Hi Vasil

Thank you for your response.

I used the method that you have told me then I changed the group (enabled Create Office 365 group) successfully!

But unfortunately, My tenant's global admin user still cannot create Office 365 Group in teams.

Do you know what are the possible causes?

Tobey.

What exactly do you mean by "Office 365 Group in teams"? Creating a new Group from within the Teams app? The settings you configure via the PowerShell cmdlets will prevent even Global admins from creating new Groups in Teams, Planner, SharePoint and so on, which in your case I guess means that you need to double-check the membership for said global admin. But they can still use the O365 Admin center or PowerShell to create Groups.

Thanks for your response.I got it!

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Tobey Davies (Brass Contributor)
Solution

If you already have the settings template created, you simply need to change the property. It depends on which module you are using, but the idea is the same.

$setting = Get-AzureADDirectorySetting | where {$_.DisplayName -eq 'Group.Unified'}

$setting["GroupCreationAllowedGroupId"] = "blablabla_newGUID"

Set-AzureADDirectorySetting -id $setting.Id -DirectorySetting $setting

The process is actually detailed in the article above, check the "Edit an existing Group settings object" section. And it's an unnecessarily complex process, no question about it, we've been giving the same feedback for year now...

View solution in original post