Microsoft Secure Tech Accelerator
Apr 03 2024, 07:00 AM - 11:00 AM (PDT)
Microsoft Tech Community

Group-based licensing - G3 eligible?

Copper Contributor

Greetings!   We here at our organization have a O365 G3 subscription (as opposed to A3 or E3), which is just basically the Government Cloud equivalent to the E3. I have been unable to use Azure AD Group-based licensing as the options either do not exist or are grayed out in my AzureAD interface. Azure Support says it *might* be because I'm G3 (I never really got a straight answer), and when I go and ask my Microsoft rep, one of his coworkers says it REQUIRES Azure AD Basic, not even the O365 E3/A3 option is valid (he even said the documentation is wrong on your own website). I'm just trying to get a straight answer, does anyone know if G3 can use it? If so, is there a reason why I would not have the options?   I can assign licenses to users directly, but not to groups.

Thanks for your time!

4 Replies
Have you gone to the Azure AD portal and attempted to configure it (https://portal.azure.com/#blade/Microsoft_AAD_IAM/LicensesMenuBlade/Overview) ? Generally, group-based licensing is available to any E3 (or E3 for government as it's now know), and above.

@Planet-Tech-Matt 

Thanks for the reply, however as I mentioned, the option to select from groups is  not available (it only shows users, even from the 'Licensed Groups' area).  I even had Azure support on the phone with me, remotely watching my session, and they couldn't explain it, other than to say that 'G3' wasn't eligible in their opinion.     

azureissue1.PNG

When I try and do it from the group, the option is completely grayed out (and yes it's a security group).

azureissue2.PNG

Any assistance is appreciated, thanks!

Just wondering if anyone else had any thoughts on this? Is there anyone with a G3 subscription that can say if they have this ability or not? Thx!

So either coincidentally the problem fixed itself or someone saw this and fixed it :)    It's now letting me assign licenses to Groups in Azure AD.  The dialog boxes aren't either grayed out or have the proper options ("User AND Groups" vs just 'Users')

o365issue6.png

o365issue5.png