Home

Azure AD Domain Services - auto assigned DNS vs VM IP address conflict?

Sid Merrett
Occasional Contributor

Hi,

New to Azure, so please bear with me...

I've created a new domain (registered a domain within Azure) and then activated AD Domain Services for that domain.

So far so good.

I have created a new VM which I want to join to the AD domain and use it to administrate/manage AD 

All good - I have a public IP address and an auto-assigned  private IP address = 10.0.2.4

I can RDP to the new VM via its public IP.

So next I have followed this guide to configure DNS settings for the AD Service 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-gb/azure/active-directory-domain-services/active-directory-ds-getting-...

And in the portal I discover that there are 2x IP addresses available to configure for AD DNS and here's where it gets confusing:

DNS IP addresses available =

So the first 10.0.2.4 is the same as for my new VM - implying that this VM is a DNS server, which would be news to me as it is a vanilla, unconfigured VM - all I have done is successfully RDP to it.

So why is it sharing an IP address that is somehow associated with AD DNS in Azure?

I have also tried joining the VM to the domain - it fails. It is unable to communicate with/find a domain controller. 

Any ideas/suggestions what I am doing wrong or what to do about this odd DNS IP addresss conflict with the VM?

Thanks in advance

Related Conversations
Tabs and Dark Mode
cjc2112 in Discussions on
35 Replies
Extentions Synchronization
ChirmyRam in Discussions on
3 Replies
flashing a white screen while open new tab
Deleted in Discussions on
14 Replies
Stable version of Edge insider browser