Welcome to the Microsoft Edge Insiders community

Microsoft

Hello Microsoft Edge Insiders!

Ever since we first announced in December that Microsoft Edge was going to adopt the Chromium open source project for our desktop browser, we’ve been excited to begin launching our Insider community. The time has finally come, and everyone can try out the new version of the browser right now!

listening-graphic1.png
We want to use this opportunity to start building a close relationship with all of you. Going beyond collecting comments and reviews, we’re eager to listen and engage in active conversations with you. We believe your collective voices will help us build a better Microsoft Edge, and that’s our vision for this community.

With our recent adoption of Chromium, Microsoft Edge gets a chance to grow beyond its initial home on Windows 10. As we’ve reflected on the best ways to enable a new listening system to support other versions of Windows and platforms, we’ve realized that our goals should be based on what we want as customers, not as engineers or designers.

What would such a system look like? That’s where all of you come in. Based on the feedback you’ve graciously given us over the past few years, we know it’s important to be able to quickly and easily send us problems or suggestions from directly within the browser. You also want a way to engage meaningfully and deeply with the developers, as well as a way to get immediate support when you run into a problem that you can’t fix on your own.

Other Insider programs at Microsoft have provided good models for us to follow for our new community. However, the Microsoft Edge Insider community has one important difference: you don’t need to sign up. Just downloading and using the Microsoft Edge Canary, Dev, or Beta channels is enough.

We hope that this relationship can be beneficial for both parties. For you, this isn’t just about being a member of an active group of fellow browser enthusiasts. You also get: a chance to see new features before all the other Microsoft Edge users; an in-depth understanding of how and why we built them, a direct channel of communication with the engineers responsible for them, and the chance to critique them and suggest what we should build next. We at Microsoft get valuable early feedback, your verbal and written insights about what you do and don't like about a given feature or approach, which will help us steer the product in the right direction. The ability to dig deeper and understand the why behind the what, while learning from a large and diverse worldwide audience. Finally, through our continuing conversations, we hope Insiders will invite others in their own communities to come and join in our conversation.

welcome-graphic2.pngSo, what can you expect from us? As our new features start making their way into the builds, our goal is to publish at least one new article every other week to inform and encourage active discussions on the latest developments in the Insider channels. We are devoting some of our time to reading and responding to every thread, and you can expect direct interaction from the Microsoft Edge team that promotes the deepest, most enlightening discussions.

We’re fully committed to building an open, honest and respectful community of awesome Insiders like you. We hope you’ll join our discussions or start your own today.
Welcome to our community. We can’t wait to build a great Edge community together!

-The Microsoft Edge Team-

313 Replies
Looking forward to this. Anyplace we can look at release targets and planned features? Looking forward to having dark mode back.
+1 for the dark mode. If it could be linked with the Windows dark theme it would be perfect! :)

Please add Bing Translator to chromium edge, just like you did with the original edge!

@Elliot Kirk 

Will you be adding the ability to add your ORG account instead of (Hotmail etc.) 

@Elliot Kirk 

Hi @John Murphy ,thank you for your question.  Are you asking about signing into the the forums or the browser?

Thanks,

Elliot

We hear you and @miwebguy loud and clear. Thank you for you feedback and enthusiasm.

Elliot

Hello @Elliot Kirk  Yes sir signing into the browser. I leverage a Azure AD/Intune Managed only device.

Great question, John. We do not support AAD right now, but we are actively working on it.

Thanks,
ELliot

Changing the default search is way too convoluted. Popular search engines should already be populated in a list instead of having to visit them and discovering them. 

Also, I see that smooth scrolling is coming in future builds but please make a way for the user to disable this feature. I could never use the previous Edge since using smooth scrolling on a scroll wheel is extremely frustrating. The scrolling doesn't remain precise and there's always a feeling of lag. It's great for touchscreens but horrible to use with a mouse.

@Elliot Kirk 

@Elliot Kirk Please consider to add "Delete browsing data when the browser is closed" feature to edge chromium, just like you did in the original edge.
I am very excited to see where the new Edge is going to go! I'd love a dark theme though, or the ability to use custom themes (like on Chrome).
Great feedback. Thank you for taking the time to give it to us. I will make sure that the folks working on Search and the interface get this feedback.
Thanks,
Elliot
Thank you for the sugestion, I will make sure it gets to the right people.

Elliot
Since there is no clear direction for input, I think a linux version is important.

@Elliot Kirk Such early code but it is fricking stable. There are some bugs such as casting, spellchecking but one that i found myself is the sensor data permission page is blank but it is not displayed on the known issues. Overall it is faster than EdgeHTML especially on YouTube and other sites that didn't work well on EdgeHTML. There are some limitation such as theming from the Chrome Web store doesn't work yet. I'm really impressed and Insiders should see new bug fixes, functionallity and features in the incoming days and weeks!

@Elliot KirkAs an extension developer, how do we submit an update to our extension for Chromium Edge? For our extension, it seems that the version listed in the Microsoft Store for Chromium Edge is an outdated version. We would like to submit an update.

Thanks for your excitement and praise @Deleted! Please keep updating so that you can catch all of our fixes and features as they come out.

Will there be plans for controlling Microsoft Edge (Chromium) via Group Policy? How do we get involved in knowing what that will look like? @Elliot Kirk 

@Elliot Kirk Just asking another question, will the new Edge based on Chromium will work with Windows Timeline? Or for now, can we install the Web Activities from the Chrome Web store?