We're Listening!

Microsoft

Greetings Microsoft Edge Insiders!

Let us start off by saying, welcome to the Microsoft Edge Insider community! We’re so excited to have you here, and we can’t wait to start learning from you. If you haven’t read our Welcome to the Microsoft Edge Insider community article yet, we recommend starting there. It has a bunch of great information on how we got here and where we’re heading.
listening-graphic1.png
Our mission:
Our mission is to create a thriving community of valuable Insiders, like you, so we can closely listen and learn how Microsoft Edge can be better. We believe that having open, honest, and continued conversations with our Insider community is a great way to build a close relationship with our users.

Why do all of this? Because we want to build a browser that’s deeply grounded in your needs. Your voice is the most important piece of helping us build a better Microsoft Edge. The feedback you provide leads to meaningful conversations that may ultimately produce the new features, bug fixes, and other improvements that matter the most to you. Listening is just the beginning for us. Our true goal is to build Microsoft Edge with the voice of the Insider community as our guiding light.

Community voice

When we announced the next version of Microsoft Edge back in December, we asked a simple question: If you could change one thing about the web, what would it be?
listening-graphic2.png
We were completely humbled by the over 40k comments you’ve shared with us. That’s a whole lot of ideas. Thank you!

You tell us that you love some things about the current Microsoft Edge browser, like the smooth scrolling experience, our Fluent Design and the precision touchpad, and you hope we’ll bring those things forward into the next version too.

Some of you are frustrated with the way that sites render so differently depending on the browser you're using to view them. You also tell us that Web Standards are on the top of your mind. We hear that you want all browsers to adopt the same standards. We hear from some of you web developers that you want new capabilities added to the web platform; whether that be in CSS, HTML or JavaScript. Another top request is an improved dev tools experience.

We hear that you have strong feelings about online advertising. Some of you wish ads that pop-up would just disappear and the same for auto-playing ads. While others feel a strong desire to remove or fundamentally change how online advertising works on the web. There is concern how these advertisements enable sites to track you as you browse which feels "creepy" and "invasive."

The overwhelming majority of comments (we’re talking thousands of messages) that we have read wish for a change in the fundamental attributes of the web. Make it faster, safer, more reliable and more private. You want your browsers to have smaller memory footprints, lower battery consumption, higher rendering speed and better stability. We agree with you wholeheartedly! The attributes that you say matter most in your browsing experience are performance, privacy, and reliability. So that is where we are starting.
listening-graphic3.png
We are focusing on delivering outstanding fundamentals. Speed, stability, accessibility, compatibility, security, and privacy are always top of mind for us. We are using your comments and suggestions to guide us while we are getting the new Microsoft Edge ready for its debut.

What’s next?
In the meantime, jump in, download the Microsoft Edge Insider Channels, and let us know what you think. What’s working well? Where do we need to improve? Over time, we hope to build healthy engagement and feedback loops with our community members.

listening-graphic4.png
We’re also mindful that our users have preferred ways to engage with us. Whether you view the latest information on the Microsoft Edge Insider website, enjoy direct discussions on our forum, need a personal support assistant via help (F1), share your feedback and suggestions via the smiley face, or just want to give us a shout on Twitter, we’re always listening and looking for ways to reach out wherever our users feel most comfortable and prefer to talk to us. We’re all ears!

Thank you for being here. We look forward to listening and engaging with you.

-The Microsoft Edge Team-

1,189 Replies

@Elliot Kirk how to post a question or suggestion?

First issue, YouTube full screen videos. When the video controls are on the screen the video playback is not at all reliable. The framerates go through the floor and the video playback gets very choppy.

Hi @Lawrence_Bai,  You can reply to the article you wish to ask about, or if you want to start your own discussion, you are welcome to ask it in the Discussions space here: https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Discussions/bd-p/EdgeInsiderDiscussions

@Elliot Kirk Hi Elliot, thanks so much.

Thank you! Looking forward to hearing more of your thoughts as you get to know the new browser better.

Hi to all. I am here from Portugal.

Just find out Chrome version of IDM Integration Module doesn't work on Insider... I rely on it heavily, please help.

confirmed, seems that Hardware Acceleration is not working properly in comparison with IE11 or Edge.

@Deleted I've got no problem here with HTML 5 player, AVC 4k@60fps... For ref, I'm on CanaryVideoDecode.png

Welcome, we hope to hear more from you as you explore the new Microsoft Edge browser!
Hi @Kexy Biscuit, if you are blocked by this extension, you might consider hitting up our support experts by filing a ticket here: https://microsoftedgesupport.microsoft.com/hc/en-us

We need to be able to use our Office365 account to sign in for syncing passwords, bookmarks, etc. Requiring a Microsoft account defeats the purpose of a truly unified account. They can sign into windows with a 365 account, get email and their apps with it. Now we just need the browser to work with it! @Elliot Kirk 

@Elliot Kirk I've just loaded both Dev and Canary.  It's great that you can have them both on your machine at the same time, but it would be nice if there was some indicator in the browser windows header to show which is which. 

@Deleted 4k@120fps is OK here...

VideoDecode.png

@Kexy Biscuit maybe is related with this edge://flags/#d3d11-video-decoder due is not enabled by default.

@Elliot Kirk Is a Linux version planned? 

That is a great suggestion, thank you @Graham Watson
@xanplx, @cjean, We are looking into releasing the next version of our Microsoft Edge browser on several platforms. Can you tell me more about your needs for having it on Linux?
Thanks,
Elliot

@Elliot Kirk As a web developer I do like to test sites on as many platforms as possible. I know it's going to use the Chromium engine so hopefully things just work as they do in other Chromium browsers. As far as I'm aware, every single one has a Linux version: Vivaldi, Brave, Opera, Chromium, Chrome, etc.

If Edge for Linux worked well enough I may even use it as my primary browser.