Updates to the New Tab Page in Microsoft Edge Insider preview builds

Microsoft

Preview builds of the next version of Microsoft Edge include an all-new New Tab Page, which gives users the option of personalized layouts that provide options for search, top sites, and a personalized feed depending on your preferences.

Over the past several months, we’ve gotten tons of great feedback from our Insider community on additional configuration options you’d like to see on the New Tab Page. This week, we’ve rolled out a new set of updates to all Canary and Developer channel preview builds of Microsoft Edge to address some of the top feedback.

Content Visibility Customization

One of the most common requests we heard is that power users wanted more options to configure the page layout, in addition to the “Focused,” “Inspirational,” and “Informational” defaults. The updated New Tab Page now includes granular options under the “Custom” layout, allowing you to enable/disable and configure individual elements of the layout:

NTP_img1.png

• Content visible shows a selection of personalized news and more on the page each time you open a new tab, making it easy to stay up to date on the latest.
  • Headings only gives you quick access to your personalized interests, while hiding the main feed until you click or scroll.
  • Content visible on scroll hides both the interest headings and content, with just a subtle hint to access your feed by clicking or scrolling.
  • Content off removes additional content from the page entirely, for the most lightweight experience.

Dark theme

We also heard that elements of the New Tab Page could be jarring when the browser was in the Dark theme. Now, if you’ve selected a the “Dark” theme for Microsoft Edge, the New Tab Page will now reflect that as well. Dark theme is supported on all layout modes for the New Tab Page including menus, top sites and news.

Dark theme is now supported across all configurations of the New Tab PageDark theme is now supported across all configurations of the New Tab Page

Personalizing your feed

The Microsoft News interests hub just got a refresh. Click “Personalize” to see which interests you currently follow in your newsfeed. Customize your feed by removing interests from “My Interests” or adding interests by exploring the categories. The left navigation makes exploration easy. Click the “+” icon to add and the green check mark to remove an interest. For convenience, your chosen interests will also appear in the horizontal navigation above the newsfeed.  

NTP_img3.png

We hope you love these updates to the New Tab Page! We’re continuing to make incremental changes to refining the experience, and we would love to hear your additional feedback or suggestions.

Send feedback at any time with the Send a Smile buttonSend feedback at any time with the Send a Smile button

You can send feedback at any time by clicking the “Send feedback” smiley icon in the top-right corner of Microsoft Edge, or by typing Alt+Shift+I to open the feedback tool.

– Uday Pharate, Senior Program Manager, Microsoft News

34 Replies

@TanvirArjel 

@TanvirArjel wrote:
No! This is problem existed in previous Dev version too.

Yup I can confirm that as well, had Dev even on a different machine

Um, ok. Obviously, I missed that.

Cheers,
Drew

Sent from Windows Mobile
Totally agree with the tabs.
Related to the scrolling, I think it was actually something windows changed (I noticed it too). Just go to your mouse wheel settings and change it there ("Choose how many lines to scroll each time"). It solved my issues.

@Elliot Kirk Enterprise version of NTP is very good. I think the personal one should take inspiration out of it. I like to have recent OneDrive documents, important new emails, latest Facebook feed, RSS feed, and other web notification aggregated on the NTP, instead of some random news from newspaper. It would be much more helpful.

Anyway, I like very much the inspirational view with huge image of the day. It makes me calm and relaxed when starting the day.

@matt_bits 

Personally, Matt, I quite like the daily photo with everything else OFF.  I do wish Bing.com could be the NTP.  Although, I have it as Start-up page w/ its menu bar, wish it was the NTP, too.  The search in NTP , certainly, is Bing, but, cannot do visual searches.

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

Hi, by Enterprise version of NTP, do you mean the customization that can be done using GP? cause I can't see any news in this post about Enterprise NTP

I've been struggling with the Hide Site option. There are certain topics that I have absolutely no interest in. And certain propaganda right wing "news source" that I have no desire to see anything they have to peddle. I have tried time and time again to Hide these sites, e.g. yahoo sports. NFL, sportnaut, and they always seem to come back. It is irritating, I know. And a small point. But it is also why I dropped your app on my mobile, because MSN does NOT allow me to ignore the same right wing propaganda site. So, I stayed away from MSN home for some time. Now, sadly, Edge is on the same path. Also, please address your right leaning Week in Cartoons. Give us the option to choose who we want to watch. I've almost given up on Edge. And I liked other features too. Just not enough to have to put up with things I don't want to see.

@Filipe Castro 

Great tip! I changed mine from the default setting of 3 lines, down to 1, and that slowed things down quite a bit.

Thanks!

@Elliot Kirk 

I initially reported that in Edge Classic, the tabs are much larger and easier to see, and that with Edge Insider (79.0.294.1 dev 64bit) the tabs are crowded and super tiny. Well, I discovered a related issue last night; in Edge Classic we could scroll side to side because not all the tabs were visible across the top of the browser. Since they were larger, scrolling side to side was necessary so you could get to the tabs you couldn't see off screen. Well, with the new Edge Insider, it will cram all the tabs together to try and fit them all on screen, except that after about 85 or so, the rest are simply off screen and not shown or accessible via the mouse. And there's no way to get to them except by using shortcuts (ctrl+tab or ctrl+sft+tab) because there's no side scroll capability. I'm not sure if you folks had noticed that, because I'd wager not a lot of people are silly like me and have over 85 tabs open at once! But if you do have that many open, it becomes a significant pain to find those invisible tabs.

Thanks very much!

@lister1911 wrote:

@Elliot Kirk 

I initially reported that in Edge Classic, the tabs are much larger and easier to see, and that with Edge Insider (79.0.294.1 dev 64bit) the tabs are crowded and super tiny. Well, I discovered a related issue last night; in Edge Classic we could scroll side to side because not all the tabs were visible across the top of the browser. Since they were larger, scrolling side to side was necessary so you could get to the tabs you couldn't see off screen. Well, with the new Edge Insider, it will cram all the tabs together to try and fit them all on screen, except that after about 85 or so, the rest are simply off screen and not shown or accessible via the mouse. And there's no way to get to them except by using shortcuts (ctrl+tab or ctrl+sft+tab) because there's no side scroll capability. I'm not sure if you folks had noticed that, because I'd wager not a lot of people are silly like me and have over 85 tabs open at once! But if you do have that many open, it becomes a significant pain to find those invisible tabs.

Thanks very much!

@lister1911 

This is great suggestion, I felt the need for this too, sometimes I have to keep at least 100-200 tabs open and that's when the problem starts

Way back when we had two browsers, Internet Explorer or Netscape, I perfered to use Internet Explorer as it was easy to view, edit and save the page source code using Notepad. Please bring back viewing source code with Notepad. This is one of the main reasions I still use Internet Explorer and not Edge or Chrome. Can you please add a registry key to change what loads when we click on view source. E.G. HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Edge\engineChrome\View Source Editor\Editor Name = 'C:\Windows\system32\NOTEPAD.exe'

@magius1962 

Have you explored the Developer Tools?  Might be interesting to you...

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

@magius1962 

Right-click on any web page

Annotation 2019-10-14 110850.png

Select "View Page Source"

and copy the codes into a Notepad.

It was broken for me as well then I reset the whole edge then it start working normally.