SOLVED

*Updated 9/3* Syncing in Microsoft Edge Preview Channels

Microsoft

Syncing your browser data in Microsoft Edge Preview builds
We heard your feedback and are committed to making sync a more reliable feature across devices. We’ve rebuilt our sync experience from the ground up and we’re making extra effort to ensure that sync meets your expectations. Our goal for sync is to ensure that you have a consistent browsing experience when you choose to roam your favorites, passwords, history, and other data across your devices.

*Updated 9/3* What is the current state of sync and what is the road ahead?

• You can now sync Favorites, Settings (preference), Passwords & Form-fill data across Windows devices, and across Microsoft Edge on Android and iOS (instructions below).
  • Sync is enabled for both Microsoft accounts (MSA) as well as work or school accounts (AAD).
  • Note that AAD sync is only available for AAD premium accounts (SKUs which include Azure Information Protection) and is not yet rolled out for macOS.
  • We are working on pending attributes and will be enabling them soon (history, extensions & open tabs)
  • As we are building a new system, Edge builds are not expected to sync with earlier versions of Microsoft Edge. You can import your existing favorites from earlier versions of Microsoft Edge.

Enabling sync on PC
When you sign in with your Microsoft account on Microsoft Edge Insider Channels, you’ll get a dialogue asking for consent to enable sync. Once you give the consent, your favorites should start syncing. Note that you can customize the sync behavior from the sync settings page.

PC Sync SettingsPC Sync Settings

Note that some attributes might be disabled on this page. They will be enabled on this page as we enable sync for them.

Enabling sync on Android
Our Microsoft Edge app on Android can now sync with the Microsoft Edge Insider Channels. But first, you’ll need to upgrade to the latest version on Google play.
To sync with Microsoft Insider Channels, sign in with your Microsoft Account, ensure that it is selected as your active account, go to Settings > Account and select your Microsoft account, then select Microsoft Edge Insider Channels > Switch.

MMX_1_Updated.pngMMX_2.jpg

MMX_3.jpgMMX_4_updated.jpg.png

After you switch to Microsoft Edge Insider Channels, you will be asked how you want to handle your existing favorites. You can choose to import and sync your existing favorites with Microsoft Edge Insider Channels. If you choose no, your existing favorites will be deleted before sync is enabled.

MMX_5.jpgMMX_6.jpg

If you choose to import favorites, when you visit Favorites for the first time, you’ll see all your current favorites and they’ll start syncing with your Microsoft Edge Insider Channels on your PC.

Enabling sync on iOS  

We are happy to announce that we have expanded our sync support to iOS.  To begin syncing your favorites between you iOS devices and your other Microsoft Edge Insider devices, you must first update Microsoft Edge for iOS to the latest version on iTunes.  To sync with the Insider Channels you can follow similar steps as those listed above in the Sync with Android section. 

First you will need to sign in with your Microsoft Account, ensure that it is selected as your active account, go to Settings > Account and select your Microsoft account, then select Microsoft Edge Insider Channels > Switch. 

ios_sync01.jpgios_sync02.jpg

ios_sync03.jpgios_sync04.jpg

After you switch to Microsoft Edge Insider Channels, you will be asked how you want to handle your existing favorites. You can choose to import and sync your existing favorites with Microsoft Edge Insider Channels. If you choose no, your existing favorites will be deleted before sync is enabled.   

ios_sync05.jpgios_sync06.jpg

Once you have completed these steps you will see all of your imported favorites in your favorites list. 

What do you think?
We are excited about sync in Microsoft Edge Insider Channels and are very optimistic that we are building it right. However, we want to be sure that sync works across your workflows and browsing scenarios. Please give it a try and let us know how it worked for you. If you run into any issues, use the in-app feedback button to submit the details. If you have other feedback for us about sync, please leave a comment below.

Thank you for trying the new Microsoft Edge.

279 Replies

@Deleted I got Edge Beta at the Play Store.  

Screenshot_20190513-052126_Edge.jpg

@Deleted 

Hello my friend,
Please sign up using the below link:
https://play.google.com/apps/testing/com.microsoft.emmx

@MANICX100 and @LarryE1946 

Thanks for this info.  Do you know if the current GA version which was published on May 8th (version 42.0.2.3428) has the capabilities needed to sync favorites correctly?  It does have Sync Favorites as an option as well as Microsoft Edge Insider Channels as an option.  It seems to work, but with a few issues.  It did sync all my old favorites eventually (it took days from the time I installed the app) and seems to sporadically sync new favorites added to Edge Canary on my desktop.

I just wondered as I wouldn't need to install the beta if the GA version already has the necessary logic in it.

Thanks

Sync on my MSA has been working great - so much faster than Edge "Classic": sometimes would take over an hour to sync a newly added favorite, whereas in Edge Insider it's almost instantaneous. Definitely eager to try syncing across my work AAD account, though. Have a couple of machines I use regularly and this is sorely missed.

Will favorites be synced via Microsoft Graph? And speaking of Graph, when might we see built-in Timeline support? Odd that Microsoft Edge for Android does this when it is built in Chrome, as I've heard from several official sources.

@akhator Yes, you are working on a sync solution that works across all platforms including iOS. However, will all platforms be supported equally? Will iOS support have the same features as Android will? Providing support for iOS is one thing. Providing EQUAL support for iOS is a different matter.

@heaths 

"when might we see built-in Timeline support?"

I cannot give you a date for "built-in", however, in the meantime... > Chrome Store for Extensions, put Timeline in the search box & grab the circled item.  And, voila, will have Timeline support, albeit, not exactly "built-in" but, do end up w/ the desired result :smiling_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Annotation 2019-05-13 132629.jpg

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

@Elliot Kirk What about syncing of extensions? I don't find a mention of extension (edge+chrome) syncing anywhere. It's a pain to find and install the dozens of extensions I use on every device.

@Deleted 

Well... not sure what happened, but today things are working just great.  Syncing is working on my phone and my tablet.  Newly added favorites in Edge Chromium Canary are syncing almost immediately to Edge on my phone and tablet.  I am still using the GA version of Edge Android from Google Play (not the beta).  I didn't change anything from the other day when it wasn't working.  Very weird.

@Deleted 

It appears other people have had better success with the pre-release, however I only personally test desktop builds myself.

@Rishi_Gupta We do plan to support Extensions sync. We haven't enabled it currently (it is mentioned on the sync settings page but is in a disabled state).

Hi. I've been getting an issue where my favourites folders are being duplicated. Initially on desktop only, but now on Android too. I've sent feedback via the browser form.

@ex-jedi Oh my, and I now have two new additions on my Favorites Bar I just noticed on Canary and Dev versions. One new one is "imported from Microsoft Edge" and another "Imported from Internet Explorer". It's odd because I didn't actually Import any favorites from either of those, but imported an HTML file. What's odd is that I haven't opened "Internet Explorer" for ages.  New favorites.png

And my Android devices have also synced.

Latest Edge update for iOS says it can now sync with insider channels, which is fantastic news.

Unfortunately I can't seem to fined an option to do so following the instructions, I've logged out, re-installed etc... and nothing. Has anyone else had any luck with it? 

Cheers.

unnamed.png

@r33zA I've checked and I can't see the sync option mentioned either.

Good job!!!!!

@NicolSD Thanks for checking... yeah it's a strange one. Maybe they pushed the wrong version to the Apple Store or it requires some magic trick.

Hopefully it wont take to long to resolve. Cheers.

@Deleted  glad to hear that your issue disappeared. Could you please send a feedback from overflow menu on your tablet with the feedback content "insider sync doesn't work" so that we can know more about what happened previously to your device?

Same problem here with lastest Edge IOS app. Cant find any link to Edge insider channels ?

@r33zA I have the same no way to sync to Edge Preview Channels

best response confirmed by akhator (Microsoft)
Solution

Hi All,

We have rolled out a fix to the problem where clients were reporting error on sync. We expect an app restart should get the client back into a functional state for sync now. We so much appreciate your patience and willingness to help all this while. Apologies that it took us time to get this fix across to you. If you still see any errors, please submit using in-app feedback button (and drop me a private message so that we jump on it faster). Sincere thanks for working with us on building a better product.

Ankur

CC. @Mike_BNL   , @DiggsMcGee , @bassoprofundo  , @indospot  , @Stephen Berard , @billbyrnes