Translate in Microsoft Edge

Microsoft

The Microsoft Translator extension is no longer needed! To help bring all the web to you, we are adding the ability to translate web pages to the preview channels of Microsoft Edge. Translation is now working on Windows, Android, iOS, and  macOS.

Automatic detection

Microsoft Edge can automatically detect when a web page is not in one of your preferred languages. When we do, we will pop up a dialog box, right under the address bar, and ask you if you would like us to translate the page into a language you are more comfortable with. We get your preferred languages from the list of languages in the browser setting, Settings ->Languages (edge://settings/languages). You can update the list of languages at any time.

translate1.png

Translate dialog appears when Microsoft Edge detects that language in not in the users preferred list

We have also included an option to auto-translate all pages for specified languages. You can always invoke translation manually from the context menu (right click) or by clicking on the translate icon on the address bar as shown below.

translate2.png

Open translate from the context

Translate3.png

Open translate from the address bar

Icon State Change:

Whenever translation occurs, we let you know by changing the color of the Translate icon.  Before translation, the icon will be black, and after we translate the web page, . There is an Icon animation for intermediate stage while the document is translating.

Translate4.png               translate5.png

Icon state: before translation                              Icon state: after translation

Translation experience in Immersive Reader:

Translation is now available in the Immersive Reader view of Microsoft Edge. When you are reading an article in the Immersive Reader and want to translate either part or all of the article into another language, open the Reading preferences menu and select the language you want to translate into from the Translate drop down menu. You can then use the Translate entire page slider to decide between translating a selection or the entire page.

Translate-in-PDF.png

Translation experience on iOS and Android:

The behavior is slightly different on mobile. When you visit a web page which is in a language different from your phone’s language, Microsoft Edge offers to translate the page using a flyout that appears at the bottom of webpage.  You can get Microsoft Edge browser for iOS and Android in the appropriate store.

translate6.jpg

translate7.png

Translation on Microsoft Edge for iOS

Translation on Microsoft Edge for Android

What languages does translation work on?

Translation is currently supported on 54 now 64 languages, which cover the vast majority of webpages on internet today

List of languages supported

Afrikaans

Dutch

Hindi

Malagasy

Punjabi

Tamil

Arabic

English

Hungarian

Malay

Romanian

Telugu

Bangla

Estonian

Icelandic

Malayalam

Russian

Thai

Bosnian (Latin)

Filipino

Indonesian

Maltese

Samoan

Tongan

Bulgarian

Finnish

Irish

Maori

Serbian (Cyrillic)

Turkish

Catalan

French

Italian

Marathi Serbian (Latin) Ukrainian

Chinese Simplified

German

Japanese

Norwegian

Slovak

Urdu

Chinese Traditional

Greek

Kannada

Persian

Slovenian

Vietnamese

Croatian

Gujararti

Korean

Polish

Spanish

Welsh

Czech

Haitian Creole

Latvian

Portuguese (Brazil)

Swahili

Danish

Hebrew

Lithuanian

Portuguese (Portugal) Swedish  

What do you think? 

We would love to hear from you. What did you like about the experience and what you didn’t? What more would you like us to build?

Thank you for trying out the new Microsoft Edge and leave your comments below!

89 Replies

yes, you are right it was developed for Microsoft edge. As Microsoft edge dev copy your Microsoft edge programs and favourite sites you can use it sometimes but Microsoft Edge dev is still under development. Personally, I think now they only focus on technical development and improving it's potential.   @AlexanderLilov 

yes, you are right it was developed for Microsoft edge. As Microsoft edge dev copy your Microsoft edge programs and favourite sites you can use it sometimes but Microsoft Edge dev is still under development. Personally, I think now they only focus on technical development and improving it's potential.

@AlexanderLilov 

@abdurehim02 

I was 'talking' with a MS engineer some more today about this.  I can confirm that it is now working just fine in both Canary AND Dev.  Go to a site in a language other than your own, in either, & the icon IS on the address bar & the language selection 'window' appears. However, it will not select, highlight text & have translate in the Rt Clk menu; Edge can do this; rather than the entire page.

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

Hey @debsuvra - thank you for self-hosting. Could you please share the webpage where you tried. thank you!

@amitkun I tried a couple of websites, for example https://www.anandabazar.com/ which is a popular Bengali daily. Edge doesn't trigger translation notification on this website. To test if this was Bengali language specific, I also tried https://eisamay.indiatimes.com/ which successfully triggers the translation notification. So it may be something specific with AnandaBazar.

Thank you @debsuvra - this is useful. Have passed it on the relevant team. In future, if you find more websites like this please use the smiley on the top right to report such bugs.

Thanks for sharing all the feedback! One of the top feedback from above discussion is that sometimes you don’t get translate prompt. We have rolled out translate incrementally to our user base. Currently all of you should have Translate capability lighted up across Dev and Canary builds. Please do check for following:
- Update Edge by clicking on update icon on top right corner
- Restart Edge if necessary and check if the issue persists.
- Check if a language is marked as your known language, by visiting Setting  languages. If this is accidentally added, remove it from there.
When does Edge not offer Translate:
- When a page is in a certain language and that language has been marked as a language that you know. You can look up at this list by going to Setting  languages
- When content in a given page is too less for us to successfully detect the language of the page
- When the web page has multiple languages and the predominant language is one that is in your known list of languages.

If issue still persists, please let us know. If possible, do share the URL in reference as well.
Thanks!

@Elliot Kirk 

Ich nutze den Translator schon länger. Hatte ihn über edge://flags/ aktiviert. Ich hatte mal ein Post in einem englischen mit Deepl von Deutsch ins Englische übersetzt. Anschließend hatte ich den Text mit dem Google Translator und dann mit dem Edge Translator wieder ins Deutsche. Während der Google Translator einen ganz anderen Text wiedergab, war es mit dem Edge Translator besser. Ich nutze ihn, weil mein Englisch sehr schlecht ist. Mit einen Alter von 61 Jahren lohnt es sich für mich nicht mehr Englisch zu lernen.

Not working on Wondows 10 1903, Edge Version 76.0.172.0 and website https://toengel.net/philipsblog/

@Elliot Kirk 

Hey, @Ted Williams thanks for the feedback. I tried this page and Edge offered a prompt to translate. would request you to try 2 options.

1. Right click on the page to bring up the context menu. Choose to "translate" from there.

2. Go to edge://settings/languages. Check if German shows up there. If it does ensure "Offer to translate pages in this language is selected." if you wish to see the prompt for all German pages.

Hope this helps!

@amitkun 

He doesn't always offer that. You may have to right-click on the website to do this. Then the page is translated. The default language for the first call is English, so that you click on the Translator icon in the address bar and select the language of your choice.

@amitkun 

Thanks for getting back to me, tried it this morning and it worked like a charm, i didn't make any changes.

Thanks,

Keep up the great work.

@Ted Williams , I visited the page and Edge prompted me to translate. Could you just do one of theis and check once again 

• Update Edge by clicking on update icon on top right corner
  • Restart Edge if necessary and check if the issue persists.
  • Check if German is marked as your known language, by visiting Setting > languages. If this is accidentally added, remove it from there.

@demodulated 

I just tried the 2 sites you mentioned...

GotIt.jpg
GotIt2.jpg

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

@JKrieg 

Hi,

This, already, exists as part of Edge.  It is done with Add notes. And it is one of the list of items most of us consider "Must haves" & "Keepers".  We are confident the Edge team is hearing our loud, collective voice & wants.  Hopefully, this & more will show up in due course in Edge C.  Though, can't be soon enough ;)

In the meantime...

This can sort of be done with Snip & Sketch which, also, offers sharing, same as Add notes.  Of course, using S&S is a tad more involved than having Add notes.  Add notes is such a nice Feature:exclamation_mark:

S&S Text.jpg

Cheers,
thVY64FD02.jpg

@demodulated 

For some reason I can't find some of my replies, sometimes including answering this... weird.

Anyway, I too, tried the sites you mentioned & without any problem.
GotIt.jpg

GotIt2.jpg

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

I'm sorry to say you have a ways to go yet. I went to the front page of an old customer's site, and told Edge-dev to translate to English. The words may be English but in the wrong order.

https://www.bt.no/

Having a decent translation facility would have been handy as their support guys used to post issues to Atlassian in Norwegian. Still, I'm outa there now.

@demodulated I just checked on Edge Canary 77 and the translation prompt does show up on the two pages. Please do give it another try and let us know

@Elliot Kirk   

Translate is not working here on this page in Edge Dev. Have tried several times and several different ways....Translation.jpg

Also, I do have the Tracking Protection set to "Strict", but I've tried changing that and it still does not translate.  I have also sent this in through the smiley dude.... 

Have also tried this in Edge Can as well and not working...

Dennis5mile