New Tab Page Walkthrough

Microsoft

Microsoft Edge’s new tab experience is designed to be a clean, delightful experience that helps you find what you need on the web and get you where you want to go next. Microsoft Edge starts with a new tab, and you can create more new tabs by clicking the “+” (next to existing tabs).

We’d love to hear what you like about our new tab experience, what doesn’t work for you, and anything more you’d like to see in this experience.

Default layout for new tabs

The default new tab layout uses a daily background wallpaper sourced from Bing’s image of the day collection. This experience also offers the standard in-page search box as well as quick link tiles .

Celebrating the image as the hero of this experience, we’ve created space across the middle for the picture to shine through.

In this layout, News is at your fingertips, just a scroll away To bring it up, you can either click the category headers along the bottom or scroll the page.

ntp1.png

In the upper right is a  quick way for you to choose various layouts for the page.

Settings flyout

To see more layout choices, explore the settings flyout in the upper right corner of the page.

ntp2.png

Focused. Keep it simple.

Focused layout has the fewest visual elements, giving you just the basics: a search box & quick link tiles.

ntp3.png

Inspirational. Daily background wallpaper.

This is our default layout, introduced above. Here’s a run through the core elements on the page:

• Daily background wallpaper from Bing.
  • Image caption and interactive museum card for more information about each picture. Clicking the museum card takes you to more information about the image.
  • A rich repository of news is also at your fingertips, just a scroll away, and can be accessed anytime by scrolling down.

ntp4.png

Informational. Stay informed with news.

Informational layout balances news with search & recent sites. In this layout, the rich repository of news powered by Microsoft News  is present to help you stay current on the topics you care about.

• Personalized news: click the “Personalize” link to set the topics that will appear in your feed
  • We program trusted news from the world’s best journalists in more than 140 countries and 28 languages, keeping you plugged into the events of the day and information relevant to your individual lives.
  • Microsoft News keeps people informed across the web, phone and PC, using our long-tested approach of curating news via publishing partnerships, human editors, and AI.
  • We work with more than a thousand premium publishers and more than 3,000 brands in all major global markets – like USA Today, The New York Times, FOX News, The Washington Post, and many more – to aggregate the best news, videos, photos and other content and deliver it, for free, to people all over the world.

ntp5.png

Other layout customizations

You can explore additional new tab page layout configurations by turning individual toggles on and off.

ntp6.png

• Toggling “Show most visited sites” turns on/off the quick link tiles
  • Toggling “Image of the day” turns on/off the background wallpaper
  • Toggling “Show feeds” moves the news content above/below the visible “fold” of the page

What do you think?

We would love to hear from you.  What’s your favorite new tab layout?  What additional new tab customization options do you want to have?  Anything else you’d like to see changed on new tabs?

Thank you for trying out the new Microsoft Edge and leave your comments below!

106 Replies

@jmatos 

Hi Jorge,

I'll give you this info, even, if you know any of it, already:

1. OS Region set to your area 
2. Set Default location
3. Set Apps to be allowed to know & use #2
4. Set Edge Dev as Default browser (this may not matter)
5. Be signed-in to Edge C browser, Dev or Canary.

Ok, so now, I am showing my Home page, MSN Canada. I shrunk it down in order to show (only) News sections. You can see Calgary, my city, Canada & World.  Also, I pointed at Local... if that's hit it gives Calgary news.  You see the yellow circles.  Same as Edge, with Edge C those Edits give a panel where one picks what sections THEY want.  Hit the word Edit > Add section below

News.jpg
Asb.jpg

AorR.jpg

I trust this ⬆ helps.

wait a minute... just realised you're asking about this in New tab.  Don't you have Europe or your Country where I have Canada?

Can.jpg
Having clicked on it
Can2.jpg

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

As already mentioned by some others: it would be nice to be able to select a region/language for the news feed on the "new tab page". Being from Europe, I'm not interested in all the US news. In the non-chromium Edge there was an easy option to select this region though.

@BenjaVR 

Ben,

Ok, if it is not possible for Europe, I might know why or will hazard a 'guess'.  Going by what I have here in Canada, I instinctively reckoned you would have Europe or specific Countries as Sections, you know what I mean.  Anyway, back to what I'll suggest. The Edge Dev & Canary are betas.  Edge is not. it is not uncommon, if not normal prescident, that whilst building something with betas they will be, at least for a time, English (United States) and US Region.  That's not to say that come Offical release, other languages & regions won't be supported.  When no longer beta won't be only English & only US.

NB: They use 'US' losely as it sort of means North America.  Although, Windows Insider Builds only JUST added a slew of languages to Dictation.  Regular Win10, STILL, will only do it with keyboard set to English (US).

Anyway, to re-enforce my point, here.  Taking another look :eyes: at my own & more closely at something I noticed earlier... Yes, there is a Canada 'link' (marked) that does go to Canadian content, exclusively.    The My Feed (unmarkked) is a wide array of categories, but, including Canadaian features.  However, looking lower down at the selections, there is World News & US.  I think betas are like this , instead of going with 'universal' support because in doesn't make sense to sink heaps of time & effort into dressing a lab rat up with a slew of outfits.  Once it's work is done & it can go out in public, that's different.  Please, run with my lame analogy ;) I suggest the lack out 'global' support is temporay and will not be the case by the time Edge C goes live  or non-beta.  Certainly, I could be wrong; there's a 1st time for everything (J/K ;):beaming_face_with_smiling_eyes:)  

An aside: There are a bunch of categories when one hits the More ellipsis ... (to the right of Money)

NewsFeeds.jpg

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

@Elliot Kirk Good starting point! Now that we don't have a sidebar for our favorites, I would like to see a more customizable quick links tiles in the new tab with the ability to group them into folders and split into sections the same way we can arrange tiles in the Windows start menu. Thanks.EdgeNewTabPage.jpg

@Elliot Kirk 

It's fairly clear from the responses to your request so far that the most wanted option is choice! There are those who appreciate colourful backgrounds and the news feed, while others prefer a less busy page, all the way to having it completely blank. Here are my own preferences:

1. Show the bookmarks bar on NTP only.
  2. An 'icons only' option for the bookmarks bar;
  3. A simple way to assign an icon to a bookmark when it doesn't have a native one. These are my bookmarklets*:
    ED-bookmarks-bar.png
  4. Remove the Bing search bar (one of the most popular requests among classic Edge users, too);
  5. Allow customization of the frequently-used tiles. In particular, 

◦   change the label to differentiate between sites with the same favicon:
    ED-NTP-identical-tiles.png

◦   allow tiles to be re-ordered;
    ◦   allow for more rows of tiles (as used to be possible in IE)

* OK, bookmarklets aren't much use on the NTP, so that was only to illustrate why an 'icons only' setup wouldn't be much use either in this situation. I'm really pleased that they work, though!

I've failed completely to work out what that icon is supposed to represent. It looks most like a rabbit sledging downhill.

Hi @Drew1903,

Thank you very much for your help and guidance!

However I don't have a similar option like you have "Canada" (meaning I don't have Europe/the country where I am).

Regarding the other option you've mention, to change the OS location, it's more complicated :)

I am in Poland and I wanted to have news from Portugal, so it's not so simple...

But it's like you say, it's not even beta version, and this is not so central.

Once again, thanks or your help.

Cheers,

Jorge

@jmatos 

Jorge, you're welcome.

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

@archtech 100% right!

@Dmitry Perednia 

Hi Dmitry,

What is 100% right?

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

@Drew1903 

This is for the startup page.

I already found the solution.

I opened "chrome store" in Edge and installed "new tab redirect".

Yes, that's what you have to use if that's what one wants it to do. Goes with my saying put to a page or site you choose. Enjoy :smiling_face_with_smiling_eyes::thumbs_up::thumbs_up:

Cheers,
Drew

Sent from Windows Phone

thnx@Drew1903 

@jantjec1 

:thumbs_up::smiling_face_with_smiling_eyes: Yw

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

I like the customizability. How about increasing the number of quick link tiles and being able to pin them to the page? You could have a setting for the user to select the number of tiles to display. Make it a sort of Favorites page. (I know that there's a Favorites menu buried somewhere, but this makes it much quicker to select a specific page. I also hope to see Set Aside Tabs coming soon. :nerd_face::smiling_face_with_smiling_eyes:

delgadogarciafj@gmail.com

Es una idea genial que funciona muy bien y muy rapida@

@Dan_AI4GK 

Dan, no need for it to be buried.Ctrl+Shift+B will always show it.  And, also, it can be set to Always or Never show & Ctrl+Shift+B will , still, turn it 'on' & 'off', no matter what the setting.  I say this because the Fav Bar likely has those same "most visited sites", already... from you putting them there.

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

Drew,

Okay, I see what you're saying about the <CTRL> <SHIFT> B. Cool beans!

Dan

@Dan_AI4GK 

:beaming_face_with_smiling_eyes:

@paco_Delgado 

For those who do not read Spanish:

"Es una idea genial que funciona muy bien y muy rapida", Paco
‎Is a great idea that works very well and very fast‎

Si, y yo pensa el mismo!
English: I agree

Too bad Edge C won't translate (instead of me ;))

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

Too bad for mr too.@Drew1903