Beta Channel is live, collections is in Canary, all the details right here.

Microsoft

We have some news to announce. We have been working on getting our Beta channel builds ready to unveil, while steaming full ahead getting new features into Canary.  We hope that you will download and try out our Beta channel, which installs side by side with our other preview channels (Canary and Dev), as well as the current version of Microsoft Edge. Beta is the most stable preview version of Microsoft Edge, and will the last stop before we go live.  Joe Belfiore has written a full blog post on what this milestone means to us, and what you can expect.

beta screenshot.png

In addition to our big announcement of the Beta channel, we are happy to tell you that we are beginning to test our Collections feature in the latest Canary channel builds. We announced the Collections feature in our Microsoft Build 2019 conference keynote in May, and have been working on getting it great since then.  To test out this feature, you must first enable it using the #edge-collections flag on the edge://flags page. You are then free to add, edit. delete and even export collections to your heart's content.  As always, please let us know how you think we are doing.  We love hearing from you, and your feedback, whether you love it or hate it, will help us shape this into the best browser possible. Thank you! - Elliot

Links:

Beta channel announcement blog post.

Collections blog post.

66 Replies

@TomazON 

No I wasn't going to install IE. My laptop came with it and I just it when I have to, but thanks for the advice.

@TomazON @Del666

Tomaz is right, you could R&R it.  OR, as I suggested earlier you could try a Repair 1st. There are, actually, 2 repairs offered.  IF one doesn't do the trick, then use the 2nd.  Can, also, go through the Office FIX site HERE.  Here's a snip to help you find repair options; hit Modify to have this appear.
RepairO.jpg

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

@Elliot Kirk 

Thank you so much! I figured it our with your guidance and now have my Canary Browser secured or at least I have peace of mind that it is! Awesome! You are the bomb! Yay!

2019-08-26_20-32-11.png

@TomazON 

Nice to meet you! Looks like I missed a few Extensions eh? The more the merrier I say. As long as they all play nicely together. I wanted to install Ghostery but was not sure if I should or not. Sounds like a plan to me. More toys.:xd:

Thank you for sharing!

See you around as well!

@Sherry Malik Hello Sherry !! Everything is fine ? :) I used to have Privacy Badge too, but analyzing it , it seems Ghostery does the same ... But I hadn't problem with it alongside the others but for me seems like Privacy Badge had not space to work  :xd:, like Ghostery stealing it jobs :) ... 

Hi @TomazON 

Yes, I finally found Ghostery. Multitasking isn't my good side. LOL Everything is good now. I just cannot get used to getting these Extensions from the Google Play Store. I tried to get Ghostery from Microsoft Edge Insider and got an error so that was a miss. oops! 

I do have enough Extensions and I'll see how it goes..

@Elliot Kirk,

Has anyone experienced the page jumping when going to someones post or threads? Maybe it could be a Extension causing this? Just wondering...

@Sherry Malik @TomazON 

I mentioned elsewhere recently, the inventory in the MS Store for Edge C is growing/has grown.  It has more offerings than it did once upon a time.  Might check (MS Store) occasionally to see if going to Chrome Store is necessary as things are in a state of flux these days.

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

@Drew1903 

Sounds like a good idea to me. I'll do just that! Thank you!:stareyes:

@Sherry Malik 

Certainly, not I, Sherry; no jumping.  Maybe not the best reference as I have/use very few extensions.

clipboard_image_0.jpeg

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

@Drew1903 

Well I am just testing these extensions on this marvelous browser! Okay I give..I'll go see which ones I do not need....

:cryingwithlaughter:

@Sherry Malik 

Heck, a person can have any number of them.  I'm sure many are very funky (oh there's a super-techy term).  I browsed them, tried a few... one was mouse gestures, but, so different from the MS one I'm accustom to, I just go w/out. I'm actually, w/ 2, now, Adblocker Ultimate and a To the Top button.  I do have a few Flags.  In one case, I was using a fancy NTP extension & switched to a very simple NTP flag.  Anyway, I wasn't meaning to imply there was anything bad about having a whole herd of extensions; each to their own, eh?.  There sure are heaps of them from which to chose, though.

Oh & you're welcome about checking things in the Edge C MS Store.

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

@Drew1903 .

I understand totally....but as I mentioned earlier it is an Extension most likely causing my pages to jump. That is annoying to say the least. I have disabled most of them but 3 and the pages are loading better now. So, now I just need to figure out which one is causing havoc. :flushed: 

@Sherry Malik 

Ah.  Well, good luck w/ that ;):smiling_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

As far as anything mentioned above, I still think to stay in DEV channel since commit on BETA still long way to go. Yeah it still bricks in some updates but the fix committed much faster. If I could suggest, why not shorten the release train for BETA, like 4 weeks?

@Sherry Malik one other potential cause of pages jumping up and down is the following flag:  edge://flags/#enable-layout-ng.  If you disable that flag, it may also help.  

Thank you Josh,:smiling_face_with_smiling_eyes:

I'll get it a shot when I can access my browser.

Will let you know how it goes. 

Edited: @josh_bodner  To be honest this "Flag" information is new to me but I did as you stated and I was able to disable (edge://flags/#enable-layout-ng). So it seems Canary isn't jumping as much or at all. I really appreciate your response/help. I would of never figured that out....

@Sherry Malik glad to help!  The flags are kind of a hidden feature because we only expect developers or other people with decent technical knowledge to need to know about them and change them, but since this is still pre-release software, sometimes we have to pass that knowledge on :smiling_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Re collections , having read the full statement  i have a different opinion and work on it again. I did access flags  previously 0115 John@Elliot Kirk 

@Elliot KirkOkay, now I know ms is not gonna give up uwp. However what about windows 10 s? Can it run Chromium edge browser? And is there any plan updating edge through windows store?