Beta Channel is live, collections is in Canary, all the details right here.

Microsoft

We have some news to announce. We have been working on getting our Beta channel builds ready to unveil, while steaming full ahead getting new features into Canary.  We hope that you will download and try out our Beta channel, which installs side by side with our other preview channels (Canary and Dev), as well as the current version of Microsoft Edge. Beta is the most stable preview version of Microsoft Edge, and will the last stop before we go live.  Joe Belfiore has written a full blog post on what this milestone means to us, and what you can expect.

beta screenshot.png

In addition to our big announcement of the Beta channel, we are happy to tell you that we are beginning to test our Collections feature in the latest Canary channel builds. We announced the Collections feature in our Microsoft Build 2019 conference keynote in May, and have been working on getting it great since then.  To test out this feature, you must first enable it using the #edge-collections flag on the edge://flags page. You are then free to add, edit. delete and even export collections to your heart's content.  As always, please let us know how you think we are doing.  We love hearing from you, and your feedback, whether you love it or hate it, will help us shape this into the best browser possible. Thank you! - Elliot

Links:

Beta channel announcement blog post.

Collections blog post.

66 Replies

Hi @Mace242,

"Beta is, as far as I'm concerned, the proposed feature complete release."

Beta is just another step in the cycle, and represents our most stable build of the last several weeks, rather than our most feature complete.  You can immediately see differences between Beta and Canary / Developer when looking at the Sync settings supported.  We plan to update our Beta branch with major updates about every 6 weeks, and with important fixes as needed. At the end of that period, the Beta will become the new Stable build (once we have set up the Stable channel) and the latest Developer build will be promoted to Beta. If you are interested in seeing the latest set of features (and are willing to put up with some bugs) Canary get our nightly build. We are not complete by any stretch of the imagination at this point, but we are dedicated to building in the open, and getting feedback from you, our Insiders, as soon as possible. Thanks - Elliot

Hi @Peter_Dinh, thank you for your comment: "I suggest that Edge must remember the user choice at the 1st time, and subsequently it just does it automatically." Downloads are really tricky because what the "right" thing to do is depends greatly on the type of thing downloading. We have decided to default to Save because we had previously defaulted to open and heard many complaints where people have "lost" content if they didn't have the right program to open it, or if there was some other issue preventing it from opening properly. This is an especially big issue in places where their internet bandwidth is metered and they pay per kb downloaded. I will let the developers that own this feature know of your feedback. Thanks - Elliot

@Elliot Kirk, many thanks for the response. Now I see the reason why the beta version does it. Ideally, I still think the classic IE behavior is correct though.

@Elliot Kirk 

After reading all the comments here wanted to say that I installed beta and is working perfect. The only issue I had was that I have two profiles and it didn't recognize one or the other but finally could make both working with assistance from the team at edge support. I don't know if anyone else had this issue and I think has to do that managing profiles is new to edge. I mention this for future updates on the beta channel.
Thanks.

Gettinthumbnail_20190825_174528(1).jpgg problem opening Microsoft Office. Now says system does not recognise programme.@Elliot Kirk 

@Del666 

I tried to repro this to no avail. Open/running are Edge, Edge C Beta, Dev, Canary & IE.  Nothing is impeding or interfering with any component of Office 365.

I will add, there should be no conflict between Office items installed on the OS and browsers; the 2 are quite separate. 

Are you saying that since having some Channel of Edge C going, that now & because of that, your Office products have ceased working?

Have you tried repairing Office?  Is it ok if Edge C is removed?

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

@Drew1903  

Thank you for the reply. I'm an independent insurance agent and I have to access many insurance company web sites that are IE only. I thought maybe I could stay on one browser for both work and play.  I'll just load IE when I need it as before.

@Elliot Kirk  that's cool. but is microsoft giving up UWP app?

sometimes my web page fails to log me in in dev does a chrome extension add in fail me?

@john_0515 - Sometimes an extension can break or cause the browser to break. In that case it can an issue with the extension itself and not Edge. Especially if it's happening after several Edge updates. Only thing I can recommond is trying the extension on another Edge browser such as Beta or Canary to see if continues. 

@MikeDee Hello Mike !! You don't need to download and install Internet Explorer 11 in Windows 10 because it's already installed. If u need it, just go to search bar and type: Internet Explorer :) ... But I believe that that Internet Explorer time is to be over, with new technologies and security updates, enterprises need to update their apps because simply the clients deserve it. Today, people like to be updated with all devices, this is signal of security, speed, and trust ... And the enterprise that do not go to this path will lose they clients to another one that do ... It's time to change, even Microsoft is making huge changes to get tuned with new techs ... :) See u around :)

@Sherry Malik Hello Sherry , good to hear from u !!! I have installed

uBlock Origins

Ghostery

Bitwarden

Dark Reader

HTTPS Everywhere

Click&Clean

Honey

Download Manager (hoping developers give us our own download button, built in home :)) )

Office Online

Everything working great, no one problem, and all extensions is coming from chrome store to full extension test ;)

See u around !!!

Share with us always when u have some problems :)) but I hope u have no problems ... 

@Del666 have u tried to reinstall ? This could be many things, but the easier way to fix is:

With Microsoft Office u have your documents saved in the cloud (onedrive); u can unistall it, restart your device and reinstall it again and tell us if worked ... 

See u around !!! :)

Hi @Sherry Malik, you should be able to install the Webroot Web Threat Shield from the Google Play store.  You will need to allow extensions from 3rd party stores using this control on the edge://extensions/ page.

Capture.PNG

Please let us know if this isn't working for you.

Thanks - Elliot

Hi @MikeDee, you certainly can use IE mode in the next version of Microsoft Edge to solve this problem.  You will need to do a little bit of work to set it up. You can learn more here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/DeployEdge/edge-ie-mode, but essentially you need to create a mapping file that tells Microsoft Edge to use IE mode when it goes to certain URLs.  Please let us know, either in these forums or using the send-a-smile, how well we are meeting your needs.  We are still evaluating the use cases for IE mode, and may be making changes.

Thanks - Elliot

I am glad that our support agents were able to get you up and running!

@TrueGame, no we are not giving up on UWP.  We did realize that for a browser to be successful, it needed to be everywhere our customers are.  This includes mobile devices on both Android and iOS, as well as MacOS, and older Windows OSes, such as Windows 7 and 8.1. 

Thanks - Elliot

@MikeDee 

You're welcome, Mike.  But, as Elliot suggested take a look at the info HERE.  Maybe, you can go that route.

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

@TomazON  @MikeDee 

One can always use Search for things, of course.  Also, as I had told Mike earlier can > Start & it's in the Windows Accessories folder.

Btw, if the Applications window is used, one, really, doesn't need to 'look' for anything as it's all out in the open right in front of you (smile); Nothing insider folders.

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

@Elliot Kirk 

I saved the link to the doc you mentioned and when the capability in the next release I will use it.  And, yes you are meeting my needs, Thanks