Autofill in Microsoft Edge

Microsoft

Autofill of forms is a feature familiar to most Microsoft Edge customers (or for that matter, users of most modern browsers). In the next version of Microsoft Edge too, you can expect the browser to remember your passwords for all your favorite websites and help you fill in your address and credit card details with one-click whenever you come across these forms online. In this post, we will cover some of these features that you’ve come to depend on and use in your everyday life.

View and Delete passwords within Microsoft Edge itself
Earlier, one needed to go to Windows Settings > Credentials Manager to view and delete saved passwords. Now this functionality is available within Microsoft Edge browser itself. You can View (after authenticating) and Delete your saved passwords in Settings > Profiles > Passwords.

autofill01.png

Autofill suggestions made more usable
These changes have been made to improve the form suggestions experience.

Full preview of address data with field highlighting
Filling an address form can sometimes involve effort even with autofill, especially when you have multiple similar addresses saved. Microsoft Edge lets you preview your autofill data for all suggestions within the same dropdown itself, making it easier to choose the right address to fill. 
autofill02.png
To help you quickly select the autofill suggestion, the value corresponding to the field currently in focus is highlighted in the suggestions.

autofill03.png

Ease of access for credentials
In login forms, Microsoft Edge now offers the ability to choose a credential pair both from the username field as well as the password field.

autofill04.pngautofill05.png

Browser data import for a seamless transition 

A possible roadblock to try out a new browser is the unavailability of data that’s important to you, such as your favorites, passwords and other autofill data. Microsoft Edge smoothly overcomes this hurdle by making your passwords, payment info and addresses available right from the first launch.

Upon browser setup, you may choose to keep your data from another browser. If so, you will find all your form data under Settings > Profile and you can manage your data as needed. If you have credit cards that are linked to your Microsoft account, you will not be able to view them yet in the autofill interface. This will be available soon.

autofill06.png

There is also an option to import all your autofill data on-demand, again through Settings > Profile. Remember that your existing data set will be replaced by the new data you import.

Sync autofill data across your devices
Work on syncing data across different devices is currently underway – expect these changes to reflect in the upcoming builds.

Control over your autofill data
As a Microsoft Edge user, you have full control on the autofill feature as well as your autofill data. It is important to us that you can easily view, delete and manage your personal data at any point of time. You can also enable/disable the whole feature for passwords, payment info and addresses, respectively.

autofill07.png

Looking ahead
This is just the beginning. We know that your time is super valuable. And every second that we spare you from typing out your details each time you shop online, or every bit of mind space we free up from remembering a complex password, counts. Which is why, in the new Microsoft Edge it is important that you get a reliable autofill experience that works intuitively whenever you come across a form on the web.

And to get there, we need your help. You can help us by sharing examples of areas where autofill in Microsoft Edge can do better.

We look forward to your inputs!

76 Replies

@Mary Branscombe 

Is not the same ... (No es lo mismo)

@ppnacho   As @Mary Branscombe has said, you must enter your credentials a second time in order to see the password.  Even if you forget to lock your computer when you walk away from it and a malicious user arrives before the computer locks automatically, they still have to know your credentials to see these passwords. Just having access to your user session is not enough.

In effect, your Microsoft account, domain account, or Windows user account credential plays the same role as a master password does for LastPass.

@garyvoth 

What he says is exactly the opposite. In chrome you do not need to enter any credentials to see the passwords of your favorite sites. In firefox you need the master key to be able to see them. Simply, what I ask is that the keys of your favorite sites are not visible. So hard to understand?

I will not continue with the discussion ...

It's just a suggestion. And I'm sure there are many people interested in something like what I request. If you do not like the suggestion, end ...

Thank you!

-----------------

(En español)

Lo que dice es exactemente lo contrario. En chrome no hace falta ingresar ninguna credencial para ver las password de tus sitios favoritos. EN firefox se necesita la clave maestra para poder verlas. Simplemente, lo que pido es que las claves de tus sitios favoritos no se vean. Tan dificil es de comprender?

No voy a continuar con la discusion ...

Solo es una sugerencia. Y estoy seguro que hay mucha gente interesada en algo como lo que solicito. Si no les gusta la sugerencia pues ya esta ...

Gracias!

@Elliot Kirk Appreciate the post I honestly thought this was part of Chromium which to my understanding is what was leveraged as a base...  Obviously I don't understand something but good to see you guys add that feature.

Chrome does have secondary password encryption where it saves my passwords but when installing fresh or on a new computer it guides me into filling in my secondary password (so only locally saved) so I know that the cloud version is at least stored with that encryption.

I see others have mentioned it i would like to see this feature.

That's what's good about this @garyvoth It's just a web page so Find on page works (moving it to a pane with a more powerful search and filter would be nice but at least we now get central search

@ppnacho  Hey, thanks for the response. I believe I understand what you want, and if so, then Edge already does this.

don't use Chrome, so I am not familiar with how it handles password management, but in Edge Insider you must provide your Windows credentials to be able to view stored passwords. This is like using a "master password" in Firefox and LastPass.

This is already how it works, and I have no reason to think Microsoft will alter this in the future when password syncing becomes available. 

Cheers.

@Mary Branscombe  @garyvoth

First, thank your help. Thank you!!!

And the second, apologize for not understanding exactly what you wanted me to say (English problems) !!

After the last message, I have reviewed it and effectively ask for the windows password to reveal the passwords of your favorite sites.

I have always tried on my home pc computer and on this computer the windows password is blank and it is for this reason that I could never see the windows password request window.

Having said that, I would like to thank @Mary Branscombe and @garyvoth again and apologize for my mistake.

Anyway, I think we should give it one more round for cases in which the windows users have a blank password or use a shared session. I think we had to separate the passwords stored in the browser from the windows password.

However, I consider that it is currently an advance as it is now.

Thanks again to all!!

-----------------------------------------
(En español)

@Mary Branscombe  @garyvoth

Lo primero, agradecer vuestra ayuda. Muchas gracias!!!

Y lo segundo, pediros disculpas por no comprender exactamente lo que me queriais decir (problemas de ingles)!!

Tras el ultimo mensaje, lo he revisado y efectivamente se pide la contraseña de windows para desvelar las contraseñas de tus sitios favoritos.

Siempre he probado en mi equipo pc de casa y en este equipo la contraseña de windows la tengo en blanco y es por este motivo por el que nunca podia ver la ventana de peticion de clave de windows.

Dicho esto, vuelvo a dar las gracias a @Mary Branscombe y @garyvoth y pedirles disculpas por mi error.

De todas formas, creo que habria que darle una vuelta mas para los casos en los que los usuarios de windows tienen contraseña en blanco o bien utilizan una sesion compartida. Pienso que habia que separar las contraseñas guardadas en el navegador de la contraseña de windows.

No obstante, considero que actualmente es un avance tal y como esta ahora.

Muchas gracias de nuevo a todos!!

Ah, there is one extra step of protection as well. To sync passwords, you have to sign in to Edge with a Microsoft or Azure AD account and when you make one of those your Windows account, you're not able to have a blank Windows password. Really, biometrics and FIDO 2 tokens are a much more effective approach than making people remember one more password.
Glad we could help ;)

@Elliot Kirk 

I'm not quite sure how many others feel this way about auto filling sensitive information but I prefer to rely on my own backing store for sensitive data rather than any browser's built in method. I used to use LastPass and now I use Bitwarden to manage such data. It would be fantastic if Edge could allow you to pick another source for auto fill data natively instead of what is currently the norm which is adding a context menu option for Bitwarden or LastPass.

@Elliot Kirk one thing I have really missed since using Edge, is the ability to remove items from the Autofill options. When developing, you often end up typing all sorts of different data into names, addresses, emails, etc. With IE you used to be able to clear that data up easily enough by just deleting it from the list when the browser displayed it. Please bring back a way to remove items from these lists easily.

@mduregon  +1 for me.  It was one of the reasons I still preferred to use IE in the modern world.  Sites like SFDC tend to cache autofill info and while you want to remove one item you don't want all your info deleted.  If this can come back it would be AMAZING!!!

@Elliot Kirk will all these configuration settings roam/sync with AAD (Azure Active Directory) accounts as used with Office 365? One of the reasons my clients moved from Edge to Chrome was that Microsoft actively disable settings sync if you're on AD basic subscription. So if your laptop blew up, bang - all your settings and favourites are lost. And upgrading to Azure Premium just for synchronisation wasn't cost justified esp. Chrome did other things better (like multiple profiles/people).

Please make sure, the website devs have control over the autofill. There are situations where chrome wrongly suggests autocomplete options into unrelated fields. And since they also ignore autocomplete=off, it may happen that the browser automatically fills in a password to a form field that has nothing to do with the origin of the password thus sending the user password to a new site.

@Drew1903 @Vadim Sterkin thanks for pointing out an improvement area we hear your feedback.

@David Gibson thanks for the detailed questions and clearly calling out your concerns. Given we are talking about sensitive information here, we believe that security around how this data is stored and accessed is very important. In short, you can view the saved password for a website only upon additional authentication. We will follow up with a detailed post that will address all aspects of security and encryption regarding how your sensitive data is handled in Edge. 

@arthill thanks for pointing out. This is the kind of feedback that is very valuable for our team. Our team will look into this bug. Next time you observe something similar, please hit the smiley on the top right corner of the browser so your feedback reaches our team promptly.

@garyvoth thanks a lot for your feedback and the edit that followed! It would still be valuable to know whether you were able to locate the search bar without any difficulty when you needed it. Thanks and keep sharing your feedback with us!

@mduregon thanks for sharing your feedback. We have also heard other users share similar feedback in the past and our team is looking into this.

@Mirronelli thanks for your feedback. If you see such an issue happening for some site in Edge please let us know. You can share you feedback by clicking on the smiley on the top right corner of the browser.

I'm with Elliot. I currently use LastPass as my Password Manager, due to the security. It's good to find out that Firefox has a master key. Edge (Chromium) should adopt something similar...

In fact, it would be nice to see Windows Hello security implemented in Edge (Chromium)