Run-time Error '3340'

Copper Contributor

I am having trouble with access. I use it every day and need it to work. please help me.

13 Replies
is there any answer to this problem
can I chat with anyone to fix this error

@Jonathyn Is just a problematic Update that caused havoc

You have to uninstall these Updates to have it resolved

Access 2010 – Uninstall update KB4484127
Access 2013 – Uninstall update KB4484119
Access 2016 – Uninstall update KB4484113

And recently added to the list

Access 2016 – uninstall update KB3085368

I found that the uninstall  previous updates doesn't work with Office 365 and that the only thing I found is to use the deployment tool to set back to a prior version.

Not something I wanted MANY end users who are not all computer saavy to have  to walk through so I did some digging.

We have (primarily) one tool utilizing MS Access which has this error. I don't get it on  my machine because I have a surface, and because I cannot update the drive to a larger one I use an sd card for my user folder which does not allow the  major upgrades to run. However I found a laptop which had the error. I ran the tool and went into debug to find where the offending query was.

It utilized a Update Filename SET field = '0' WHERE nz(field,'')='';

I changed it to eliminate the WHERE statement and it worked.

Update Filename SET field = nz(field,'0');

sure, technically it is Updating each record (I am told) but I  have noticed no significant performance hit.

My thought is  maybe this is only a problem when WHERE is utilized?

@JonathynYes, this the erroneous Query is Corrupt message caused by the Security Update Microsoft released last week. My team wrote a paper that describes the problem in more detail, the causes, Microsoft responses and workarounds you can make now:

Microsoft Access Query is Corrupt Error 3340

Hope this helps.

This was affecting me at work as well with 2016 and 2019 versions of Access where there wasn't an update I could simply uninstall to temporarily fix the issue. Today I successfully did a System Restore from the Windows Recovery options back to a week ago before the update was installed and Access is good to go again. In Access > Account I also disabled updates so I hope that it will stay good.

@Luke Chung 

I have this Access error.  I have Office 365 and I have followed the suggestion to update my Office version within Access.  I have done this and now have version 1910 Build 12130.20410 Click-to-Run.  This is the latest update.  The error still persists.  Please help !!!

Não altere as tabelas nem consultas, use apenas o meu código e adapte a chamada de execução
Sub UPDATE(strNomeTab As String, strInstrucaoSET As String, Optional MostraQtAlterados As Boolean = False)
'--------------------------------------------------------------'
' código criado por Alexandre Neves, do Fórum MaximoAccess '
' utilize o código livremente mas mantenha os créditos '
'--------------------------------------------------------------'
'Exemplo com opção de mostrar quantidade de registos afectados
'Call UPDATE("Tabela","Campo=X",True) em vez de UPDATE Tabela SET Campo=X
'Exemplo com opção de mostrar quantidade de registos afectados
'Call UPDATE("Tabela","Campo=X") em vez de UPDATE Tabela SET Campo=X
Dim qdf As QueryDef
Set qdf = CurrentDb.CreateQueryDef("qdf" & strNomeTab, "SELECT * FROM " & strNomeTab)
If MostraQtAlterados Then
With CurrentDb
.Execute "UPDATE qdf" & strNomeTab & " SET " & strInstrucaoSET
MsgBox .RecordsAffected
End With
Else
CurrentDb.Execute "UPDATE qdf" & strNomeTab & " SET " & strInstrucaoSET
End If
CurrentDb.Execute "DROP TABLE qdf" & strNomeTab
End Sub

@CaptainTall45 I had the same issue crop up

The problem code was a docmd.runsql "Update Table Set field1 = #" & now() & "# Where ID = " & str(intID)

I changed it to 

dim wrst as recordset

set wrst = currentdb.openrecordset("SELECT * FROM Table WHERE ID = " & str(intID))

if not wrst.eof then 

wrst.edit

wrst("field1") = now()

wrst.update

end if

wrst.close

@tsgiannis 

Can't fix the run time error following Nov update.  I have Win 7 with Office 2013 with SP1.  When I try to run KP4484119 update I get error message "There are no products affected by this package installed on this system" Don't understand why I'm getting this message.  Please help!

@DRM0260 

I have the same problem unable to unrecognized data format ( run time error) . Seen you note about removing updates how do you do this? My problem is only one file in access, Microsoft team made a repair, reinstall new update from office 365 and did not resolve problem. Microsoft said they do not know how to fix access application and to contact developers at access are your people able to help me with my file. 

@Eliya_1206

Microsoft told me that they do not have any advice they can give on Access issues .... which is remarkable since I pay Microsoft a subscription for their product.  I was advised to go to the Access developers forum and I learnt there that I had to uninstall one of the Microsoft updates that they unleashed on the world.  This was KB4484127.  Once I did this, I no longer had the problem.  Hopefully this will do the trick for you too.  Good luck.

@tsgiannis thanks for the info. Uninstalling the updates for the corresponding version of Access (or Access Runtime) fixed the error on various computers at my office.