Import from Access to Excel returns empty table.

Copper Contributor

Hello.

When linking an access query to excel using method Data>Get Data> From Database> From Microsoft Access Database, the table in Excel returns the column headers but no other data.

When I got to Access to check the table, everything there seems fine. Any suggestions?

I'm using Access & Excel 2016.

7 Replies

Hi July, do you have any criteria when requesting data from Access?

@_july_cesarI am experiencing the same issues.  It's only with one particular set of queries though.  There are three levels to the query and only the first level query will show data within Excel.  All other queries from the same Access database import into Excel fine.  There is no out of the ordinary criteria set in the Access queries.  I'm completely at a loss on this one. I'm on O365.

@_july_cesar 

Your now executing a query and importing the results in Excel if I am correctly.

There can go two things wrong, the execution of the query is not working when using this import from Excel or the importfunction from Excel gives the problem.

In order to solve this I need of course more information but what you can do is to change your query to a maketable query and try to import the created table. With this you can rule out that the import is the cause of the problem.

Furhermore you can look into the options while importing. I am not importing much from Access to Excel so don't know exactly what the options are but mostly it asks to convert fieldnames to rows or not where can be some problems. Also you can have a problem with field properties. If one field is giving a text in a numeric cell it can have problems to complete the import. 

I have about 20 years experience with office (and VBA) and had only few times a situation that I needed to import to Excel so I do this from some grey memories :))

Greetings,

Marcel

@Juan Soto 

I had the same  problem. Was able to load the data when I removed the criteria from the Access Query. 

Why is this a problem? I do not want to change the  Access Query criteria.

@_july_cesar are you using any wild cards (an * ) in your criteria?  For example:  like(*xyz)  

If so, you will have to change them to the % as the wildcard designator.  Excel doesn't like * as the wildcard designator.  Once you change the wildcard designator to %, when you run the query in Access, it will come up blank; however, it will work when using Power Query into Excel.  

This helped solve the problem for me at least! Much appreciated! @StaWM 

Such an easy solution. Thanks!