Access dropping connection

Copper Contributor

Ever since Friday 1/11/19, we have been experiencing an issue wherein Access (2010, 2013, 2016, 365) on a share crashes periodically.  By crashing I mean that the tables and queries pane on the left goes blank, however any open linked sql table can continue to be refreshed.

I suspect that the issue is related to Windows updates which I applied to our servers on 1/20 and which are auto-pushed to clients via WSUS, but I am just curious if anyone else is reporting a similar issue.

For reference, all the client PCs involved are Windows 10 (mostly build 1803 I believe). The servers involved are 2012 Server and 2016 Server. All the shares are communicating at SMB level 3.0 or 3.1. I saw there were some SMB issues reported in the latest Windows updates, but they seemed to be SMB 1.0 and 2.0 issues.

I am just trying to see if anyone else has seen this.

Thanks!

1 Reply

Hopefully you have already found the answer to this issue elsewhere, but if not, this was a known problem that many people with earlier release cycles started facing after a May Windows update to Windows 1803. In particular, this update KB 4100403 does have a network-related issue, and the workaround suggested for that is to ensure that SMBv2 or SMBv3 is enabled on both client and server as described here KB2696547