Dev channel update to 88.0.702.0 is live

Microsoft

Hello Insiders!  Today we’re releasing build 88.0.702.0 to the Dev channel.  It’s a big one, so we’ve got a lot to talk about: 

As for all the good stuff in this build: 

Added features: 

• Added the ability to add text notes to PDFs.  Note that support is limited to Windows for now.  For more details, see https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/articles/pdf-note-taking-enhanced-with-support-for-text-comme...
  • Added the ability for Edge to proactively find and show coupons while shopping.  Note that this feature is not available for work and school accounts. 
  • Rolled out support for automatic deduplication of favorites more broadly.  Now, deduplication will occur every time favorites are synced to the device. 
  • Added the ability to take a screenshot of the entire webpage using Web Capture. 
  • Added settings to the Pinning Wizard to generate more default suggestions. 
  • Added support in the IE mode sitelist to be able to specify schemes (http/https) alongside the host and path. 
  • Added new management policies to configure whether or not Sleeping Tabs are Enabled, to configure the Timeout until they go to sleep, and to configure the list of URLs that are Blocked from going to sleep.  Note that updates to administrative templates or documentation may not be available yet. 
  • Enabled support for the management policy to Block External Extensions from Chromium. 
  • Updated icons across Edge to be more consistent with the Fluent design scheme. 

Improved reliability: 

• Fixed an issue where adding a favorite directly from the Favorites management page sometimes crashes the browser. 
  • Fixed an issue where Edge’s first startup after rebooting a device sometimes hangs. 
  • Fixed an issue where using the Favorites menu sometimes crashes the browser. 
  • Fixed a crash when closing the browser. 
  • Fixed an issue where PDFs sometimes crash. 
  • Fixed a crash when closing a PDF. 
  • Fixed a crash when printing a PDF. 
  • Fixed a crash when closing popups. 
  • Fixed a crash when shutting down the browser. 
  • Fixed an issue where signing into a browser profile that has previously been signed out of will sometimes crash the browser. 
  • Fixed an issue where the F6 key sometimes crashes the browser. 
  • Fixed a crash when closing the Sleeping Tabs awareness dialog. 
  • Fixed a crash when opening a PDF that will end up in an Application Guard window. 
  • Fixed an issue where websites installed as apps sometimes won’t launch on Windows Server or other Windows accounts that elevate everything by default. 
  • Fixed an issue where pages sometimes crash on load. 
  • Fixed a crash when navigating to websites. 
  • Fixed a hang during browser shutdown. 

Changed behavior: 

• Fixed an issue where installing a website as an application sometimes fails if the site has already been pinned to the Taskbar. 
  • Fixed an issue where pinning Edge to the Taskbar sometimes results in a second copy of Edge on the Taskbar. 
  • Fixed an issue where the feedback dialog doesn’t appear. 
  • Fixed an issue where adding a site to the “Do not clear” list in the setting to clear cookies and other site data when the browser is closed sometimes fails. 
  • Fixed an issue where dragging and dropping favorites to rearrange them from the Favorites menu sometimes results in the favorites being dropped in a different place than shown or intended. 
  • Fixed an issue where the indicator that a tab is playing audio sometimes doesn’t appear for certain types of media. 
  • Fixed an issue where sorting or filtering cookies on the Cookies management page sometimes fails. 
  • Fixed an issue where closing a Web Capture too quickly after copying it sometimes results in the copy failing. 
  • Fixed an issue where Guided Switch sometimes opens the wrong page when links are redirected from personal profiles to work/school profiles. 
  • Fixed an issue where navigations that are redirected to full IE leave behind a blank tab in Edge. 
  • Fixed an issue where the management policy to set the Printing Paper Size Default doesn’t work. 
  • Fixed an issue where the Information Protection icon sometimes appears in the address bar when it shouldn’t. 
  • Fixed an issue where certain UI text isn’t visible when using custom themes. 
  • Deprecated the management policy to enable Proactive Auth. 
  • Temporarily removed the ability to pin a website installed as an app to the desktop or Start Menu from edge://apps.  Note that generic websites can still be pinned to the Taskbar and Start Menu from … > More tools. 

Known issues: 

• Certain extensions such as the Microsoft Editor extension don’t work on Linux.  As soon as they’re installed, they crash and are disabled.  We’re currently investigating. 
  • Users of certain ad blocking extensions may experience playback errors on Youtube.  As a workaround, temporarily disabling the extension should allow playback to proceed.  See https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/articles/known-issue-adblock-causing-errors-on-youtube/m-p/14... for more details. 
  • Some users are still running into an issue where all tabs and extensions immediately crash with a STATUS_INVALID_IMAGE_HASH error.  The most common cause of this error is outdated security or antivirus software from vendors like Symantec, and in those cases, updating that software will fix it. 
  • Users of the Kaspersky Internet Suite who have the associated extension installed may sometimes see webpages like Gmail fail to load.  This failure is due to the main Kaspersky software being out of date, and is thus fixed by making sure the latest version is installed. 
  • Some users are seeing favorites get duplicated after we made some previous fixes in that area. The most common way this is triggered is by installing the Stable channel of Edge and then signing into it with an account that has already signed into Edge before.  Fixing this should be easier now that the deduplicator tool is available.  However, we’ve also seen duplication happen when running the deduplicator on multiple machines before either machine has a chance to fully sync its changes, so while we wait for some of the fixes we’ve made to come to Stable, make sure to leave plenty of time in between runs of the deduplicator. 
  • After an initial fix for it recently, some users are still experiencing Edge windows becoming all black.  Opening the Browser Task Manager (keyboard shortcut is shift + esc) and killing the GPU process usually fixes it.  Note that this only appears to affect users with certain hardware and is most easily triggered by resizing an Edge window.  For users with discrete GPUs, updating graphics drivers may help. 
  • Some users are seeing “wobbling” behavior when scrolling using trackpad gestures or touchscreens, where scrolling in one dimension also causes the page to subtly scroll back and forth in the other.  Note that this only affects certain websites and seems to be worse on certain devices.  This is most likely related to our ongoing work to bring scrolling back to parity with Edge Legacy’s behavior, so if this behavior is undesirable, you can temporarily turn it off by disabling the edge://flags/#edge-experimental-scrolling flag. 
  • There are some issues where users with multiple audio output devices sometimes don’t get any sound from Edge.  In one case, Edge becomes muted in the Windows Volume Mixer and unmuting it fixes it.  In another, restarting the browser fixes it. 

Next week is the Thanksgiving holiday for us in the United States, which means that there will be no major Dev update, no intended minor Dev, Beta, or Stable updates, and Canary will only be updated on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday.  We’ll be back to normal the week after! 

53 Replies
@josh_bodner Great!

My alias account here :)

@josh_bodner 

Thanks for the update,

I wanted to ask you something about history sync.

will history sync make Edge web history appear in Windows 10 timeline/taskview, just like Edge legacy?

Well that's ... frustrating. You've made the toolbar favourites dropdown menu so left-click on a favourite is open in the current tab and close menu, while middle-click on a favourite is open in a background tab and keep the menu open. That's the behaviour I and others asked for a year ago for the favourites bar folder dropdown menus, which there's been no sign of. But having it in the favourite button dropdown is not a suitable replacement: it needs more - often a LOT more - clicking and scrolling to get to the wanted favourites in the button dropdown where one starts at the level above the toolbar and can have to scroll past lots of other folders' content open from before to even open the wanted folder than in the favourite bar. So will you PLEASE add that behaviour to the favourite bar folder dropdwon menus. It is THE one thing you can do that would make me think seriously about moving to Edge (provided you also do something about the lamentably backward state of Android Edge),

@josh_bodner Rubber banding is not reproducible most of the times. I am seeing this from many months. Now with newly introduced history panel rubber banding only happens half of the time. Very hit and miss, I like the effect but getting it only sometimes makes for an inconsistent user experience. 

@josh_bodner seems full page web capture is not rendering the image as expected, see example screenshot where top menu banner is showing in the middle of the page rather at the top of the page?

@josh_bodner 

Thanks for the update.

When will the iOS version support the synchronization of history and open tabs?

@josh_bodner Is the update not available for Linux? I can't see it in the repository.

@josh_bodner |
Love the rapid development of Edge, so much has happened since the first beta! :)

About automatic deduplication, will that translate back to the mobile versions as well soon?
I have Edge on my phone and tablet, and on both versions it's a mess of doubled folders and favs.
Already uninstalled Edge on both devices a couple of times to get rid of the clutter.

Other than that, loving Edge on Windows, Android & Linux!! :)

@DavidGB Having that behavior in the favorites menu actually gives us a lot more bargaining power that the favorites bar should behave the same, so let me ask the owner.  

@kanumurikrishna Looks like we originally fixed this when you select only part of the web page, but not for the full page since that was before the full page capability was released.  I'll let the person who fixed the original bug know!  

@donmez I can ask, but just so I know, which repository are you looking at?  

Doh! Sorry, of course there are two repos at least, I checked https://packages.microsoft.com/yumrepos/edge/

@RobWuijster Our mobile builds likely won't get this particular work for a while, although they should at least partially benefit from desktop Edge doing deduplication for them if they're syncing with builds of it that have it.  

@josh_bodner The .deb linux build for this version looks to be missing from https://packages.microsoft.com/repos/edge/pool/main/m/microsoft-edge-dev/

@benbmitchell and @donmez it looks like we've had an outage that's affecting our Linux publishing, so it's known that these packages are missing and we're working on it!  

@DavidGB Apparently completely unrelated to my asking, we actually just fixed this in today's Canary!  The flyouts don't use the tree view yet, but the non-closing behavior will be coming to our next Dev update.  

@josh_bodner This seems to be fixed now (at least rpm repos), thank you!

I am posting here so you can see it and will post to feedback, your new DEV version quit reading external reader /  CAC Cards,  Hence signing into CAC related sites failed with error "ERR_SSL_CLIENT_AUTH_CERT_NEEDED",   Now I am unsure if that is because it might a "chrome engine" update that does it,  But whatever as soon as this update hit,   Sign in's failed to obtain CAC card credentials.

@josh_bodner 

How can we know the default value of these, without guessing or trial & error?

fdsfds.png

the scrolling flags usually have little effect that are hard to notice, without knowing their default value, it's even harder to know where and how to look for changes.

of course there are other flags too that need to have their default values specified. simply saying "default" is useless.